Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Schneider-Kreuznach Xenar 0.7x wide-angle lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:27 pm    Post subject: Schneider-Kreuznach Xenar 0.7x wide-angle lens Reply with quote

I found this in a local charity shop for 3ukp, so I thought it was worth trying, it was nearly 300USD new so not a cheap item.

It's a modern design with 4 elements, so should be much better than the common and cheap 2 element wider/macro attachments.

It's quite large, feels very solid and well made, rear thread is 55mm so it fits nicely onto my Hexanons. I tried it on my 3.5/28 EE Hexanon, just pointing out the back door because the weather is atrocious, but it gives some insight into what the lens does and does not do.

First thing I noticed was after adding the converter, the lens needed to be refocused to the 2m mark to obtain infinity.

Centre sharpness appears fine and holds up well into the corners, which are a little less sharp than the centre but still good.

100% crop from the centre, looks like it hasn't degraded the sharpness:

My next concern was CA in the edges, the cheaper converters are notorious for introducing CA, especially at the edges.

100% crops of top left and top right corners, some blue CA is visible but it's not objectionable and only really noticeable if pixel peeping, it only exists in the corners too so I'm happy to say CA isn't a problem with this converter.

Finally, distortion, the 0.7x converter on the 28mm Hexanon gives just over 19mm, which is pretty wide, so you would expect some barrel distortion.

Hmm, looks fairly free of distortion to me, but I don't know how to measure distortion other than with my eyes.

Here I drew some red lines on and you can see how the drainpipe on the left and the door on the right that form the verticals are still straight. Also, the diagonals formed by the wall and the garage roof are still straight lines too, so the distortion can't be very much.

So, I have to conclude from this initial test that this is an excellent piece of kit, it doesn't seem to degrade sharpness apart from very slightly in the corners, it doesn't introduce CA other than a tiny bit in the corners and it doesn't add a load of barrel distortion.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting results. What f-stop did you use?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dan, sorry, I forgot to mention that. F8, I focused on the TV aerials.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks pretty decent, especially compared to most of the other converters I've seen Smile

Last edited by ForenSeil on Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, converters are largely not good at all, most are 2 elements and can be reversed for macro, those are definitely to be avoided. I had a 1970s Schneider Ultrawide Aspheric converter, figured that would be good, but it introduced a lot of CA and the corners were smeary, so that got sold ages ago and I lost interest in converters, then I saw this in the local charity shop and figured 'why not' I'd read that the modern 4 element types could be good, but the people writing about them were using small sensor bridge cameras so were only used to so-so IQ and not good judges.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried it again today and I'm very surprised by the results, it really hasn't degraded the sharpness of the Hexanon at all. There is some very slight smearing on the very edges but that's to be expected with a 19mm fov. There is a tiny bit of CA on the very edges too, but you really have to pixel peep and look for it.

I think a good 28mm lens like the Hexanon 3.5/28 I used coupled with this converter is a far better budget ultrawide option than the low quality cheap ultrawides like the crappy Cosina 3.8/19 or Cosina 19-35 zoom.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never expect this result from a converter! Congrats!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never expected it either, so I'm rather pleased with my little bargain.

I wonder if it will work with my 24mm Hexanon too, that would make a 16.8mm lens, which would be rather interesting to play with.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I never expected it either, so I'm rather pleased with my little bargain.

I wonder if it will work with my 24mm Hexanon too, that would make a 16.8mm lens, which would be rather interesting to play with.

17mm is a nice focal length, look forward it!

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ha ha, I too just bought one from a charity shop today for £5.00. Smile, exact same adapter, in excellent condition.

Not sure what 35mm equivalent focal length lens to use with it though on an APS-C camera? Widest I have is a 30mm Lydith or nasty Canon EF-S kit lens 18mm at the widest. Loathed to use that though, I always focus manually and really dislike the horrid narrow focus ring on the EF-S range, at the end of the barrel, always seem to get my fingers in the shot and slightest knock it goes out of focus. Smile

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice find for a fiver, these were 200 quid when new.

Try it on the Lydith, I used mine on 24 and 28mm lenses and it worked great so should work fine on the lydith.

If memory serves me, the Lydith has a 49mm front thread, the schneider converter is 55mm I think so you will need a stepping ring, dirt cheap on ebay from china. Some electricai tape will do to try it I think.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice find. Looking forward to some more shots!

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to post the second set of shots, this time I used the Hexanon 2.8/24, so this gives an ultra wide view equivalent to a 16.8mm lens. I think it works superbly well with the Hexanon 24 so next step it to try it on my Tokina 17mm, which would give a really flippin wide view. Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very decent indeed considering it is a WA adapter on top of your prime.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it actually outperforms my Tokina 17mm.

Some stitched shots:

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressive!