Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tamron 24mm 2.5 versus Tamron SP 24-48mm @ 24mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 10:30 am    Post subject: Tamron 24mm 2.5 versus Tamron SP 24-48mm @ 24mm Reply with quote

Hi,

I'd like to understand if the Tamron SP 24-48mm zoom is any better at 24mm than the Tamron 24mm 2.5 lens? Apertures I am interested in are f5.6 and f8. Has somebody here done a comparison between these two lenses?

Thanks,
Diddy

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

while anything is possible, I would be very surprised if the prime lens didn't have superior resolution and
distortion characteristics.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had both lens from mines zoom was lot better, it was quiet shocking , prime was poor performer.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot Attila for letting me know! I was wondering really as the prime lens was not in their SP category ... and Tamron's SP zooms are usually very good. So did you sell the Tamron 24-48 zoom in the end? If yes, what was the main reason?

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diddy wrote:
Thanks a lot Attila for letting me know! I was wondering really as the prime lens was not in their SP category ... and Tamron's SP zooms are usually very good. So did you sell the Tamron 24-48 zoom in the end? If yes, what was the main reason?

They made a few SP prime like 180mm and 90mm both good as than other best ones, I think they made non sp lines to mass and sold them cheap. I sold all of my Tamron lenses, reason is I can't afford to keep everything and I wish to try much as I can.

I like Zeiss, Konica better basically I keep these lenses and sell all others once test is finished.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 24/2.5 and it performs good, especially when stopped down to the apertures you need: I never tried the zoom, though, so I can't compare, and the only other lens in the same range I've been using for a while was the flektogon 4/25, which is much better (sold it because i could make a good profit on that).

I must say that don't use 24's often (i found out that I like 20mm much better on aps-c) but when I do, I'm happy with my tamron.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the 24-48mm better than the prime too.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both. The 24-48 is much better at 24 than 28mm prime. Probably because of the SP optics. With this said, the prime gives you 2.5 instead 3.5 which is 1 stop. The difference still well less pronounced using 28 at 3.5. By 5.6 however, the difference pretty much goes away.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for your feedback! If I find it once at a reasonable price, I might get it then. It would make a nice addition to my small SP zoom collection.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I would buy a non-SP AD2 lens. The SP lenses certainly feel much better build quality. The cheaper lenses also tend to have fairly mediocre maximum apertures. When they were new, they were very much aimed at the cash-strapped enthusiast market. Some of the SP lenses still hold up pretty well (like my 500mm mirror lens)

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basilisk wrote:
I don't think I would buy a non-SP AD2 lens. The SP lenses certainly feel much better build quality. The cheaper lenses also tend to have fairly mediocre maximum apertures. When they were new, they were very much aimed at the cash-strapped enthusiast market. Some of the SP lenses still hold up pretty well (like my 500mm mirror lens)

I agree with this. Many lens in consumer AD2 line are slower and shorter siblings of the SP line. A few of the consumer lens traces its lineage directly to the SP line. One such example is AD2 35-70 where it is similar in design and scope to the SP 35-80. Considering how much you can pickup the SP optics, I wouldn't take normal AD2 unless equivalent can't be found (i.e. 135mm).

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember a test in german ColorFoto with the result that others have said:

The 24-48 is a very good zoom - even better than (most) 24mm primes.
In that test it was even better than the Nikkor 2.8/24....

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul wrote:

Interesting. I need to use this zoom more.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul wrote:

This is quite interesting! I do recall the name ColorFoto ... this is that magazine which some people mention for the fact that it tested the Sigma 24mm f2.8 Super Wide against Leica, Nikon etc and classified it as the winner.

I tried to find some pictures taken with the Tamron 24-48mm on Flickr, but I couldn't find any with full resolution. It would be interesting to see how it fares on a > 16 million pixel sensor.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ColorFoto is one of the two major photo magazines in Germany.
(the other is fotomagazin)

They made some extensive practical tests in those days (Mr. Walter Schön).
Many photos were taken with different focussing to reduce errors.

They tried to test the complete german market - including many no-name brands. That's why their tests were splitted over many pages and many months. It was quite difficult to find them completely.... but I have many of them (at least as a copy).

Later they changed to their so called "Normtest" which was made for easy comparison but publications weren't that detailed any longer.

From this Test with the 24-48 as a winner I don't have all the pages but only a few including the final result.

From the later 24mm-test where the Sigma shined I have half the pages (including the last with the final result).

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul wrote:

From the later 24mm-test where the Sigma shined I have half the pages (including the last with the final result).

May I kindly ask: If it is not too much if a hassle, could you take a picture of this page / scan it in and share it here? Or are these reviews still under copyright?

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul wrote:

It is said so, especially on the WA end
Paul wrote:

Hard to believe, but I have to remember that I use lenses on crop sensor. Center crop on a crop sensor, the Nikkor is already a top performer wide open...

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't find the evidence, but I tested loads of 24mm lenses a while back, and whilst the 24-48mm was excellent and beat a lot of other lenses, the Nikkor was clearly better, particularly in the corners.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be surprised if it was better than the Nikkor ... but we can't say without seeing a fair comparison.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember for Nikon prime way better than any zoom include this Tammy, zoom is usually step behind primes only a few can be same than primes I think Tamron SP series any of them not better than any Nikon primes.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I remember for Nikon prime way better than any zoom include this Tammy, zoom is usually step behind primes only a few can be same than primes I think Tamron SP series any of them not better than any Nikon primes.

May be sample to sample variation at play. We can never be certain unless a proper statistical sample is taken and rigorous testing is performed based on a valid set of samples.

However, this never stopped us from given our views and opinion here. They are still valid observations on a case by case basis Confused

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stingOM wrote:
Attila wrote:

May be sample to sample variation at play. We can never be certain unless a proper statistical sample is taken and rigorous testing is performed based on a valid set of samples.

However, this never stopped us from given our views and opinion here. They are still valid observations on a case by case basis Confused

Yes, but sample variation issue is very little on zooms, due difficult to fix them, most people fail with rebuild, so they are usually not tampered and Japanese quality control especially on SP line didn't depend from workers mood.