Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Jupiter-9 M42 :: Family Snapshot
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 1:52 am    Post subject: Jupiter-9 M42 :: Family Snapshot Reply with quote

Jupiter-9 2/85 M42 :: Family Snapshot

Wife, son and daughter,

PS for cropping and a pint of salt, just a little,

Hope you like it,

Renato

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job keeping all three in the focal plane in the 2nd and 3rd shots! In the first, your son is OOF or maybe he just moved suddenly. I would suggest framing these shots a bit wider so as not to crop the hands. As you have shown, this lens is very capable for portraiture. Keep them coming!

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 4:30 am    Post subject: Re: Jupiter-9 M42 :: Family Snapshot Reply with quote

My only small nit to pick is that I'm not crazy about the framing of your beautiful wife being dead center in the first image. Other than that compositional complaint which can be addressed by cropping off a bit of frame right, I think these are terrific shots. Very nice work. Congratulations!

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really nice shots and beautiful family. The bokeh and highlights in your wife's hair make each shot sparkle. I agree that composing/cropping a bit more off-center would create even better visual interest.

Did you get that Leica-style lens hood yet?

Last edited by frenched on Thu May 16, 2013 11:24 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely family, congrats!! I love this lens too especially at Ff4-F8.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurentiu Cristofor wrote:
Good job keeping all three in the focal plane in the 2nd and 3rd shots! In the first, your son is OOF or maybe he just moved suddenly. I would suggest framing these shots a bit wider so as not to crop the hands. As you have shown, this lens is very capable for portraiture. Keep them coming!

Hi,

Thanks for the imput. The first one was shot at 2.8, and I guessed the distance between the front and back faces would be in focus, of course I was wrong. I saw it opening the photo in LR, in the LCD the image was almost perfect. I would have viewed it at 10X zoom, but that's life.

I was comming from my afternoon promenade at our garden with the camera in hands, and saw my wife with the baby just crossing a shinning light of sunset, and ask her to stand for a moment, and took the shot. Seconds after that, my daughter saw the scene and asked to make part of it. I shooted 3 times, and uploaded everything. PP was turning 1º or so in PS and that's all.
For the hand croping, my intention was to make a close-up, but i have to pay more attention for this type of details the next time.

Glad you liked it even with this limitations,

Renato

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 2:10 am    Post subject: Re: Jupiter-9 M42 :: Family Snapshot Reply with quote

CBokeh wrote:
My only small nit to pick is that I'm not crazy about the framing of your beautiful wife being dead center in the first image. Other than that compositional complaint which can be addressed by cropping off a bit of frame right, I think these are terrific shots. Very nice work. Congratulations!

Thanks CBokeh,

The first shot was a exposure test, and frankly, my wife was so natural and comfortable in the photo that I preferred to keep the photo anyway. I agree that with the subject in the center of the frame adds a static feeling to the image, boring in fact. I see your point of view and agree completely. The second and 3º shot were more carefully framed but I made some mistakes on them too - see above..

Glad you like it,

Renato

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frenched and Attila,

Thank you, I work to improve my skills everyday, choosing the right lens is just the beginning, I still have to do the rest,

Very Happy

Frenched,

I'm still waiting for the lens hood to arrive, but it's coming... Hope it arrives before I'm too old to use it!

Laughing

Renato

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful family portraits.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate you cause I had just stopped thinking about buying this lens, and then you come out with these, and I have no money right now.

No, seriously, really nice pics.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking forward to an M42 version I recently purchased to see if it's any better than the old rangefinder one I have now.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
I'm looking forward to an M42 version I recently purchased to see if it's any better than the old rangefinder one I have now.

Will not, look forward your opinion.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:

+1 Smile

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will have it next weekend or early in the following week. It is leaving Poland on Monday along with my Tair-11. I have mixed feelings with the RF version I have, a 1961 PT7540 by LZOS factory. Some pictures seem too soft while others more than sharp enough. I have not experimented enough yet to find the best combination of focus distance / aperture and sweet spot of aperture alone. Additionally, the glass is quite yellowed, but then I seem to like the warm colors resulting. One thing I will not complain is the overall character since I do like the bokeh and overall rendering. Depending on what I want in a photograph, my Series 1 90/2.5 is far superior in sharpness, has good bokeh, but definitely renders differently. My Hexanon is also much sharper, but cannot produce as good bokeh. And I do like that it has a circular iris.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Some pictures seem too soft while others more than sharp enough.

Interesting. All of my pictures seem sharp enough. Not super-super-sharp, but good enough that I cannot see sharpness as an issue. The Vivitar 90/2.5 is reputed to be a very sharp lens, even better than the 105/2.5, which has it own reputation. So the Jupiter-9 may not really get that sharp, but is good enough for most applications. I am really curious what you will think about the M42 version, as that is the first lens that comes to my mind if you say "soft".

Here are a few samples from my LTM and M42 versions:

LTM @f/4+:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/laurentiucristofor/7957868216/

More pics from the LTM here.

M42 @f/2 (the essence of "glow"):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/laurentiucristofor/5231801091

M42 @f/4 (getting better):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/laurentiucristofor/5763229027

More pics from the M42 here.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll see. I hope RSalles doesn't mind the added conversation about the J-9. If this was a photo sharing post in Digital Gallery, then would be inappropriate, but maybe okay here to continue on about the lens.

I do think there is a secret to my RF version I just have not yet discovered. Some lenses need to be understood and used for their strengths and this may be one of them. Once I figure out if it is a distance, aperture, or whatever, I'll be better able to get the best from it. I bought the M42 version because the fellow offered it at fair price to be delivered with the Tair at no additional shipping... that and the fact I'm a sap and can't resist a deal.

I'm a believer in "sharp enough", and that's why some of my lenses are very much appreciated for their overall IQ. Here are two that I think were wide open with the RF J-9:

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woodrim,

I don't mind, if the thread has gone away... A post in the forum is like a son: it grows and walk with his own legs!
I have some lenses which are more "sharp" than J-9, but, for the type of shooting i'm doing with it, it's really sharp enough.
Thirty seconds visiting PS and it's "unsharp mask" magic, can render a better sample - to avoid all sort of artifacts and halo, i always go easy with it. Here is an example, with the same lens:

Specially to Graham and Iangreenhal who loves flowers shots Laughing

STD1-3735 por Renato Augusto Salles, no Flickr

If wanted i can provide a 100% samples of it,

Renato

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
woodrim wrote:

We shall see. My lenses are scheduled to arrive on Saturday. Just thought I'd mention Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
woodrim wrote:

Got them today and guess what... this one is better. However, it isn't M42 as I was told, it's an M39, 1966 model. In nearly as new condition. Initial tests show very good performance both wide open and stopped to f/5.6. This and a Tair-11 came from the same person and both look as new, but the Tair has oil splatter inside the front element. I'll bring up my own Jupiter thread from the RF version I have and add to that with results from this M39 version.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M39 SLR lens has also a different character than M42 SLR look forward your results.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
M39 SLR lens has also a different character than M42 SLR look forward your results.

This was my experience also. M39 and M42 J9's of similar vintage produced different results (at least my copies did). However, sample to sample varience is so high with this lens that it's hard to make any definite conclusions other than that older versions were generally sharper wide open than the newer ones.