Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What's the dish on Petri adapters?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:19 pm    Post subject: What's the dish on Petri adapters? Reply with quote

Discussion here limited to Petri lenses with Petri bayonet mounts

Has anyone come up with an easy way to convert these lenses to M42?? I'm currently up to four Petri lenses and have no viable plan.

So far have bought an old, "down and dirty", "dead and dying", Petri film camera with thought of performing a mount-ecktomy. Looks like three screws and the mount is off the camera.

But what then? Is there an adapter of some sort with an M42 male thread on one side and a flat plate on other? If so I could try to mate such an adapter to my Petri mount from the camera. If not, I dunno what I'm going to do.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: What's the dish on Petri adapters? Reply with quote

guardian wrote:

... Is there an adapter of some sort with an M42 male thread on one side and a flat plate on other?...

I have converted lenses to Nikon in the past by using a reverse adapter with the filter thread sawn off, effectively creating a flat plate with the camera fitting on one side. You want one of these:

I think you need to replace the lens mounts rather than make an adapter, using a reversing ring and attaching it directly to the lens. This is a one way conversion.

The Petri bayonet, or to be precise, breech lock mount was designed with M42 backward compatibility in mind, the M42 lenses will fit inside the Petri mount and focus on infinity as the flange focal distance is almost exactly the same (0.02mm difference). An adapter to mount Petri lenses on an M42 camera will bring the lens too far forward so only macro will be possible.

The breech lock mount may be removed from a body but part of the retaining mechanism could be attached to it. I'm not too sure what it looks like so I'm unsure here. But it's not really a feasible thing to do unless you're happy with macro and I doubt there will be any adapters on the market.

EDIT there is one on ebay right now item no 271192874317 (copy and paste this number into ebays search box) its £8 plus post. Although I'm not sure it will focus on infinity, ask the seller.

Let us know how you get on. show us photos of the lenses if you can.

dish, petri. hmm ha ha.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: What's the dish on Petri adapters? Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:

I have converted lenses to Nikon in the past by using a reverse adapter with the filter thread sawn off, effectively creating a flat plate with the camera fitting on one side.

Many thanks for your remarkably comprehensive and incredibly helpful post. Rely on the fact I will make use of the copious information your have provided.

However

Full, honest disclosure is always best. When I did the OP I thought I knew my subject matter better than now appears to be the case. It would seem I know less about Petri lenses than I once thought I did. This situation is forcing me to seek help elsewhere. Indeed, I may have some surprises heading my way by post even as I write. Sad This will become known only in the fullness of time.

Meanwhile, in the words of Arnold Schwarzenegger:

"I'll be back!"

ps

Petri? Dish? Just trying to instill a little "culture". Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Culture Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

This is a great place to learn all sorts of useful info. I didn't know about flange focal distance a year ago.

Let us know how you get on, I'm very interested

Phil