Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Zuiko 90/2 benchmark?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:29 am    Post subject: Zuiko 90/2 benchmark? Reply with quote

Hi,

Is there anybody who compared Zuiko 90/2 with more modern "mainstream" macro / close up lenses? I would be happy to hear the opinions. First match up that came to my mind was versus new MFT lens Zuiko 60/2.8.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't remember to anybody who has new mft macro lens here.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've had Oly m43 60mm macro for testing last month, but i didn't compare it to Zuiko 90mm/2 because of two things: 1. 90mm is 1:2 magnification and m43 60mm macro is 1:1 magnification, 2. they are different focal lenght. instead i compared m43 60mm macro with yashinon 60mm/2.8 , both 1:1 and same focal length. conclusion i got was that they produce same sharpness and magnification, only thing is m43 60mm macro is color corrected in body while i had to correct shots with yashinon. i've shot little black Olympus camera pendant, with same settings in oly m43 60mm macro shot black color is black, in yashinon shot black turned brownish so i had to correct that in PP.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that m4/3 zuiko is an absolute killer lens from what ive seen. heres the difference: it will be a 120FL with a corresponding wide open DOF of 5.6, while the FF zuiko will have a corresponding 120mm FL/2.8 DOF on apsc (180FL/4.0 DOF on m4/3). there's where your decision lies.

given size/price, for me personally to use on m4/3, i'd take the native lens every time.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

..i also cant compare..but i have the a7r and both olys, the 90 f2 macro and the 50 f2 macro DO really deliver outstanding results..

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

psy501 wrote:
..i also cant compare..but i have the a7r and both olys, the 90 f2 macro and the 50 f2 macro DO really deliver outstanding results..

Wow, look forward your posts!! Probably new lens is good as than old , key difference is electronic and built. Tokina for example made lens to non cleanable, 200-500mm new AF lens made all over from plastic elements , not open able you can throw it out if got fungus.
What you do if m4/3 is gone like many camera in past , and due electronic parts inside you can adopt to a new system. Pay lot of money for a lens what is stuck on one camera system , not the best investment. A manual lens can usable on many system in present and I think in future too. Good lens is good lens, what is makes difference better camera, better photographer and better subject.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

..i will be able to post some photos in about ten days as i am currently not at home..but it will be a pleasure for me..btw thx a lot to this great forum that helped me to get some great lenses BEFORE the a7 arrived.. Cool

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

psy501 wrote:
..i will be able to post some photos in about ten days as i am currently not at home..but it will be a pleasure for me..btw thx a lot to this great forum that helped me to get some great lenses BEFORE the a7 arrived.. Cool

Great , look forward them please open a topic for each lenses Sony A7 + lens name.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a mirrorless shooter but I too wonder how the Oly 90/2.0 stacks up against say the Zeiss Makro-Planar 100mm f/2 or even Canon's EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro.
I am using a 1.6X crop cam (60D).

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
What you do if m4/3 is gone like many camera in past , and due electronic parts inside you can adopt to a new system. Pay lot of money for a lens what is stuck on one camera system , not the best investment.

Micro Four Thirds has quite the solid base right now so I don't think it'll be gone soon, but when that scenario takes place some time there will be another system with about that sensor size which you can use the lenses on just like all fullframe lenses don't you think? Because of lens size (and current lenses brought to market) there should always be a place for MFT like sensors.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fabian wrote:
Attila wrote:
What you do if m4/3 is gone like many camera in past , and due electronic parts inside you can adopt to a new system. Pay lot of money for a lens what is stuck on one camera system , not the best investment.

Micro Four Thirds has quite the solid base right now so I don't think it'll be gone soon, but when that scenario takes place some time there will be another system with about that sensor size which you can use the lenses on just like all fullframe lenses don't you think? Because of lens size there should always be a place for MFT like sensors.

I thought for all electronically controlled lenses, not only for m4/3 , did happen in past maker like Canon, Minolta etc simple did change specification. Lenses are significant investment, especially on new up to date lenses, FD owner did lost from one day to another their lens value. This is not really happen with old lenses, what already lost their first time value and if rare and good like OM 90mm f2.0 investment is pretty save throw decades. I have one of the first m4/3 camera Panasonic G1 , may I use it at every 2-3 monthes, old digital cameras has not same bright future than old manual lenses.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
psy501 wrote:

Great , look forward them please open a topic for each lenses Sony A7 + lens name.

..i will.. Very Happy