Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What Brand Adapter for M4/3? HELP PLEASE!!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:50 pm    Post subject: What Brand Adapter for M4/3? HELP PLEASE!! Reply with quote

Hey, as some of you know, I just got my 1st MILC, an E-PM1.

I have a M42 to M4/3 adapter but I have NO idea what brand it is... I got it free when I bought a lens from a guy locally.

It is pretty decent. It has a TINY little bit of play where the adapter mounts to the E-PM1, but the side that mounts to the Screw mount lens is nice and tight. Which makes sense, since its a thread.

Anyway, what is a good brand to go with? I know obviously the 200 dollar ones are going to be great. but I am looking more for like the 50 and under ones... In fact the 10-20 dollar one would be best for me...

I need a Konica AR, Minolta SR (MC/MD), Pentax K, Canon FD, Nikon Ai's, and Olympus OM.

haha, so obviously it would be nice to get them all for 20 or less each seeing as I need so many different ones.

I see these 3 ALOT, any experience with them at all? FOTGA, FOTODIOX, RAINBOWIMAGING.

Thanks again Guys.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big_is on ebay is good. All cost under $15 and good quality I have about 10 different and all work fine.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/big-is-camera?_rdc=1

Last edited by philslizzy on Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have quite a few Pixco ones and have always found them to be very good both in terms of fit and length (they are all within 0.2mm of the perfect length). The only exception is the Rollei QBM one which required a lot of fiddling to make the lens catch work properly.

Big-is ones are generally decent, but the most recent ones I have are rather short (of the order 0.5mm from perfect length) so that infinity focus occurs well before the infinity mark on the lens.

I have one Photodiox (Nikon) adapter and it is excellent. A good fit all round, just 0.1mm off ideal length and well made.

I have one FOTGA adapter (Konica) and it is rubbish, being over 1mm too short. I would never buy another FOTGA adapter.

It is quite common for the lens mount on cheaper adapters for bayonet lenses to require a little tweaking to get a good fit by using a small screwdriver to open up the springs that hold the lens. The most important thing is a firm fit on the camera as this cannot be tweaked. I have a couple of "no name"adapters which are a loose fit on the camera and these are useless IMHO.

A very small amount of rotational play of the adapter on the camera is common but not important.

Mark

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Canon FD adapters I would recommend getting one with a chromed brass fitting for the lens. I had one which was all aluminium and the lenses were a very sloppy fit on the adapter making them unusable. This cannot be adjusted (i think) because the mount is a breechlock. Because of this experience I bought a Pixco one and that was excellent.

Mark

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience is the opposite of Marks, I have a Fotga Minolta MD that is perfect, 2 Pixco - Pentax PK and Olympus OM that mount the lenses very loosely, but they all reach infinity just fine. I will change these though.
My M42 is from SRB Griturn and perfect, but it's hard to get that wrong! and I have 2 Fotodiox in PK and Canon FD that are fine except the tripods mounts keep coming loose.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. thanks all.

I think I will try buying from amazon or somewhere with returns.... BIG_IS is a Uk dealer, I am in the US... so that wont work out

But I will try the FotoDiox first, maybe the rainbow imaging, they have good reviews on amazon...

I think I will get a Konica AR, Minolta MD, and Canon FD .... one from each brand and then see which one is best then return and re-buy... or maybe they will all be good and I will just keep them... that would work too!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimithing616 wrote:
Cool. thanks all.

I think I will try buying from amazon or somewhere with returns.... BIG_IS is a Uk dealer, I am in the US... so that wont work out

But I will try the FotoDiox first, maybe the rainbow imaging, they have good reviews on amazon...

I think I will get a Konica AR, Minolta MD, and Canon FD .... one from each brand and then see which one is best then return and re-buy... or maybe they will all be good and I will just keep them... that would work too!

BIG_IS is not a UK dealer, they are based in China, and they offer free postage as long as you are willing to wait 3-4 weeks for delivery.