Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pentax M42 Screw Mount
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:58 am    Post subject: Pentax M42 Screw Mount Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

Do these types of lenses fit Sony NEX and other modern mirror less cameras?

Also what are Pentax lenses like quality wise?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well you need something to adapt it with - usually a ring contraption

mirrorless/43 with their small flange distance can basically adapt anything.
m42 can be adapted to nearly anything (save nikon I believe)
mirrorless thus can take Minolta non-AF/MC/MD, nikon, whatever, that Sony/M-AF can't without losing IQ due to glass correction lens or losing infinity (and even the glassless adaptors for MD are rare and expensive)

so, well, for mirrorless you might want the absurdest mount ever you can get a cheap adaptor for, to use these lenses no one else can use - but m42 work fine and often aren't that expensive

Pentax sounds nice in zeroth estimate but it all depends on the details (I have zero experience with pentax lenses)

HOWEVER, make sure that it's not just the mount that is "Pentax". M42 is sometimes called "Pentax screw mount", "PE" or just "Pentax" for hysterical reasons (and because there's a Pentax non-screw mount too)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for reply.

I have an opportunity to buy a bag of fungus infected lenses. I will save my money and effort for something more worthwhile.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

....buying a bag of fungus infected lenses CAN be very interesting.... all depends on what type (brand / model) they are....

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super Takumar SMC 50mm F1.4 on M42 is a great fast lens, particularly the 8 blade aperture version. Other Taks have a good reputation too.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some m42 super/super-multi-coated/SMC takumars. None of them was less then good, with some outstanding ones (imho).
I would reccomend: 3.5/28, 3.5/35, 1.8/55, 1.9/85 and 2.5/135, together with the older preset ones, such as the tele takumar 5.6/200.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Takumars are great lenses!
and most are fairly easy to open and clean. If one never has done it's a challenge though, be sure to start with the most common / cheapest one

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost all the Takumars (including Super-, Super Mult-Coated and SMC) are at least in the top 50% of comparable lenses, and many of even the common ones are in the top 25% or better.
Oddly enough the turkeys in the Takumar line are rather uncommon.

Takumars are generally quite easy to disassemble and clean. The mechanical designs are elegantly simple. I always go for fungused lenses because they are very often bargains. Some are a total loss, but surprisingly few. But if you aren't comfortable with disassembly and cleaning, don't bother.