Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Best available non-expired negative film
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:22 am    Post subject: Best available non-expired negative film Reply with quote

Which is the best available, non-expired 35mm color negative film today?

I like Kodak Ektar. This is the only good film I could find having expiry date of 2014/2015. Fuji Pro 160 are only available expired.

Which other negative films do you like which is currently available and has expiry date of future?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My personal favourites are:

Kodak Portra 400
Fuji Pro 400H

They're similar, but subtly different. I shoot Ektar in 120 (and both of the above films), but haven't tried it in 135 - I find it's a very good film, but for accurate colours needs a much more precise exposure than, say Portra 400 - which if it takes your fancy will work (you'll get a scanable result) rated at anything between ISO100 and 1600.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shoot 2012 expired Fuji Superia400 which is stored in my freezer, and do not have any problems with the film. In my experience there is no problem with color negative films 5 years after expiry, when stored properly. Just so you know;)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Best available non-expired negative film Reply with quote

yusuf wrote:
Which is the best available, non-expired 35mm color negative film today?

I like Kodak Ektar. This is the only good film I could find having expiry date of 2014/2015. Fuji Pro 160 are only available expired.

Which other negative films do you like which is currently available and has expiry date of future?

Depends what you want the film to do...e.g. landscapes, portrait, just shots for posting on a forum, or just general shots? For general shots Fuji superia 200 is very good, for scenery I like Fuji Reala 100 (very good for green colours) but you can't buy it anymore for 35mm.... anyway mine is 6 years OOD. For 2nd best Agfa Vista asa 200, 36 exp is selling for £1 in the UK maybe you can find a cheap supply where you live.
But in saying all above I have a freezer full of film to use and will eventually try Portra and Ektar, so maybe I'm not giving the best opinion. i.e. "the best".

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best film color-negative film is Kodak Ektar 100 imho

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the results I see from the pro 160 speed films; unfortunately (or fortunately!) only the Kodak Portra 160 seems to be available; Fuji seems to have given up this niche. I also like Portra 400; the Fuji for me tends to be a bit pale/cool which is just right for some situations. I'm in the minority on Ektar - I don't get consistently good results with it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ektar probably is "the best".. but only within 1/3-stop or so from the ideal exposure as it has avery narrow latitude. Once you get towards a stop out it's very unforgiving and can give colour casts. However, it does have very good reciprocity characteristics for long exposures at night.

Portra 400, on the other hand, has such a wide latitude that as long as you're within three stops of the exposure you will get a very usable result from a scan. And deliberately shooting two or three stops adrift will give a predictable "look" to the end result.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My vote is for Portra

Or Fuji Pro 400H

I probably prefer the Fuji... I dunno why... I am all Kodak when it comes to B & W though, Ilford is good too... Arista premium aka Kodak tri-x is where its at. but thats another story on a whole nother day.