Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikkor 200mm F4 (5-lens version K-type)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:24 am    Post subject: Nikkor 200mm F4 (5-lens version K-type) Reply with quote

Hi there!

Something from a lens I rarely use although I love it because a long tele prime isn´t the most flexible lens on earth, and you simply need a tripod.
But this sight just demanded exactly 200mm Shocked

ISO 200, F5,6

100% crop:

I´m very happy with this lens. How would you rate its performance, especially compared to more expensive primes and zooms in this range?

Regards

Benedikt

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 200/4 Ai is by far the sharpest 200mm I have, and has the best colors and is one of the most contrasty of *all* lenses I ever tried (except maybe Contax Sonnar 85/2.8 ). Naturally, one pays for it with slightly harsh background rendering. It's sharper, more contrasty and has better colors than Canon 70-200/4L, and that should tell something!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

Yes, I think this lens is a great exception. I would love to see how it performs on fullframe.

The colours are very nice, yes, but there are even better ones. For incredible colours, I recommend the Mamiya Sekor/SX 28mm F2,8 and 135mm F2,8; and for contrast (and nice colours, too), you simply have to try the Micro-Nikkor 55mm F3,5! This one is really an important lens. I love it for architecture.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a great lens. IMHO the 200/4 micro is sharper, but obviously at shorter distances. Very fine shot

patrickh

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice shot -- treats the warmth of the light and the coolness of the snow very well. I also like the 200mm AI.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice one... this lens is on my list or any 200mm for that matter Smile

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Nikkor 200mm f4 AI or AI-S is a hard lens to beat for the price.This underpriced gem is a nice lens that delivers sharp and contrasty images.

It works great with extension tubes and is reputed to do well with close-up lenses.

The lens is susceptible to flare so during those flaring situations, the lens is quite often used without filters.Ghosting however is rarely a problem with this lens.

On film it's fairly sharp wide open and is sharpest from f5.6 through f16,beyond f16 image quality starts to decline.

On crop sensor DSLR's the lens is sharp from f4 to f8 with excellent contrast and sharpness.Beyond f8 contrast and sharpness decline with chromatic aberration becoming visible.

On full frame DSLR's the lens shoots somewhat similar to how it shoots on film,but sharpness and contrast start declining beyond f11.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice picture Smile My copy has a few more scratches.

By the way, I really like the lens hood. It´s a very practical solution.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here´s another result from the 200mm F4:

ISO200, F11, 1/60s (through the window)

100% crop:

Regards

Benedikt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very sharp! I had a 200mm AI for nearly 30 years, finally sold it a couple of years ago because it was so beat up, but it was pretty sharp. (A couple of images with that old codger below.) I missed it, so I bought an AIS version. But was not really happy with it, so finally picked up another AI version a couple of weeks ago. Now I'm Very Happy

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gaeger2/724441424/sizes/l/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gaeger2/282503454/sizes/l/

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, these mountain goats (?) are really funny and cute. Great capture! And great sharpness. The other image as well!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BenediktW wrote:
Here´s another result from the 200mm F4:

ISO200, F11, 1/60s (through the window)

Regards

Benedikt

That's wonderful shot. 200mm at 1/60s, handheld?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not handheld, tripod Smile

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an old thread, but I have just acquired a Nikkor 200mm f4 AI-S and I am amazed.
This taken with it on Nikon D300 wide open (f4)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a second image of the same bird.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more:

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely colours! Smile

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
This is an old thread, but I have just acquired a Nikkor 200mm f4 AI-S and I am amazed.
This taken with it on Nikon D300 wide open (f4)

Nice photos!
Were they taken holding the lens?
Do you know how heavy this lens is compared to a Pentacon 200mm f4?