Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

flash metering
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:51 am    Post subject: flash metering Reply with quote

I decided to try using an umbrella kit with the SB-25 and wireless trigger:

The whole shmear with umbrella kit ran around $65 from Amazon, and using the NX100, here's a sample, flash is in manual mode:

[img]

and transferring the data, same ISO, shutter speed, etc, to the Contax 137MD, AP400>200, Xtol stock, 6.5 mins, 20C

The one hiccup I had was not waiting for the flash to fully charge between shots, so some were underexposed. Flash was shot through the umbrella which was half-opened to further attenuate the light.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

like the 2nd one, the first has to much overall shadow area.
You might still go down in exposure to get more drawing on the forehead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't upgrade camera firmware !! may will not works anymore with triggers , just with dedicated flashes.
flash is not easy , I also play three old flashes , hard to find balance.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

56 DIN wrote:
like the 2nd one, the first has to much overall shadow area.
You might still go down in exposure to get more drawing on the forehead

Thomas, thanks for the tip, forgot to add these were processed with a new monitor as my old one died Monday night after 6 years. It's
much brighter, will take some getting used to.

Attila, wow, thanks, and for the warning, haven't done any firmware upgrades. Shocked

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the same setup. Firmware upgrade should not affect if your camera can trigger the center pin.
Also, i use at max 1/4 power on digital.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoanpham wrote:
I use the same setup. Firmware upgrade should not affect if your camera can trigger the center pin.
Also, i use at max 1/4 power on digital.

Hoanpham, thanks for the info, hope to do more of this in the future. This is from a roll of Legacy Pro 100 pushed to 200, Rodinal
stand x 2 hours, 1+100 (400ml) 18C. Thinking 1 hour would have been better:

Nikon FG/ Nikkor 105/2.5 Ai-S lens, f8, 1/60sec, SB-25/umbrella kit

Legacy Pro seems to be no more, so will be looking for more Acros for Rodinal stand.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it does look a bit overexposed but I like hikey Smile

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both are nice, I live first one. Expression, crop , light.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nurko and Attila, thanks, yep, a bit over-exposed, well, next time. Laughing Another from
the roll.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
Nurko and Attila, thanks, yep, a bit over-exposed, well, next time. Laughing Another from
the roll.

Excellent too, overexpose never harm to any lady portrait , nice hollywood style from 1930 I like it a lot

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila, thanks, was messing around doing a collage in Picasa, they look better, smaller. Laughing

Really like the Acros/Rodinal stand combo, one discovery from this.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I found also best to publish portraits in smaller size 800x600. Looks this combo works really well and flash also helps, I like real black and white what you made. Many times people make gray and gray shoots only, works well on portraits to true, but I am not fond of it. I like harsh colors, tones. Great series, she did look very happy , quiet a privilege to earn these smiles.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with you all the way, this is the look I've been after, but never hit on it till now. Adorama is selling Acros 5-packs for $19.20 in 120 size.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
Agree with you all the way, this is the look I've been after, but never hit on it till now. Adorama is selling Acros 5-packs for $19.20 in 120 size.

That is good price here impossible to find for less any 120 film and Across is very good one.