Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

HOLGA 60mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:50 pm    Post subject: HOLGA 60mm Reply with quote

Hi
I had a look on ebay and these look to be rather cheap plastic lenses... they look to be kind of creative lenses but I am not sure at which sense.
Has anyone tried something like that ?

Regards
A

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have it but, from what I can see on the NET, it can hardly be named "cretive".
A creative lens has a nice and particular balance between aberrations/sharpness/bokeh/color&contrast.
This Holga 60mm f/8 lens has a lot of aberrations, no real sharpness but also no real softness , boring bokeh (at f/8 maximum opening you can't ask for more),no separation between subject & background (again, at f/8...), below average color and contrast, e.t.c.
The strong vignetting it produces can hardly be "creative" and can be easily made in PS.
So, what's left? The strong flare?
At ~30$ it is an over-valued lens (in fact, it's over-valued at any price, I think Smile)
The cheap Chinese TV lenses, projection lenses or simple meniscus lenses can really be "creative" and they are in the same price range (more or less).

I'm definitely not a Holga fan but if it can bring joy to someone - that's a good thing, even if I may not really understand how.

Last edited by dan_ on Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also agree, it does nothing special exept vignetting.

For the same price, you can have Fujian 35mm/1.7 (new) in C-mount, which is way more "creative".

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why use a crappy lens to take a picture of a certain style, and be limited to taking crappy pictures from a crappy lens, when you can use a good lens and use it creatively to achieve that same style?

I looked at the Lomography web site recently and I was appalled by the rip off prices, it's nothing short of exploitation. I have no problem with the Lomography style and look, it's something that is an artistic view of photography and image making. Indeed, I like a lot of what I see in Lomography, but selling cameras and lenses on the premise that your pictures will automatically be 'lomography / artistic' is just a rip off. You could rip the light seals from a Leica and smear vaseline on the lens and get the same effect, but 'effect' doesn't make 'art'.