Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Dallmeyer 6" f4.5 Enlarging Anastigmat on OMD EM5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:12 pm    Post subject: Dallmeyer 6" f4.5 Enlarging Anastigmat on OMD EM5 Reply with quote

This would seem to be a pretty common enlarger lens and so it is not expensive (especially for a Dallmeyer lens). It is not a 35mm enlarger; it produces an image circle of at least 4-inch diameter. I think it is a triplet lens and seems to be uncoated.

Performance on a small format camera like the E-M5 is weak to poor. It would seem to be optimised for close focus work (not surprising for an enlarger lens) and performance at larger subject distances is definitely poor. Close focus performance is better; still pretty soft and with a definite glow at f4.5. I tested it to f8 and it never gets very sharp, but it can give a nice soft focus effect. Contrast is not too bad (though I used a hood and kept the Sun behind me). The pictures have had a small levels adjustment but no other PP other than resize.

@ f4.5

@ f5.6

@ f8

@ f4.5; note red halo around petals

@ f5.6

@ f8

@ f4.5

@ f5.6

@ f8

@ f5.6, performance at larger subject distances is pretty poor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems quite flairy in the same way the old 5cm Summar lens was on the pre-war Leica. Jolly good fun though Cool

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrahamNR17 wrote:
Seems quite flairy in the same way the old 5cm Summar lens was on the pre-war Leica. Jolly good fun though Cool

Yes, wide open there is a lot of scattered light bouncing around in the lens lowering contrast and creating the distinct halos around edges.

There is a danger when judging lenses like this to judge them against much more sophisticated glass at 100% on the computer screen. Of course, the triplet design falls down in terms of sharpness when viewed like that. But I could make a very nice 7x5-inch print of the daffodil or crocus that would have a pleasing smoothness. And the long focal length of this lens makes for good subject isolation even at f8. I am probably being too harsh in my judgement of this lens when used for close focus work. (Performance with distant subjects sucks though Laughing )

Thanks for taking the time to comment

Mark