Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pancake lenses on NEX
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:42 pm    Post subject: Pancake lenses on NEX Reply with quote

Are there any MF pancake lenses out there that can still be considered pancakes with the adapter included? I have the Contax 45/2.8, CV 40/2, Hexanon 40/1.8 but I'm travelling right now so I can't really check them out. I can't understand why I haven't compared the lenses side by side yet... The Zuiko 40/2 has also been on my wishlist for a while... There are of course many other pancakes out there as well. I guess the PEN 38/2.8 with adapter must be one of the smallest combinations.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried these:

Pentacon 2.4/50 - good lens, but not as good as the 1.8/50 Pentacon
Konica Hexanon 1.8/40 - good lens but overrated, the least good of the Konica normals.
Minolta MD 2/45 - good lens, I preferred it to the Konica as it has smoother bokeh and a smoother transition from in focus to out of focus, colours are vivid too, but it's not as good as the Minolta 1.7/50
Yashica ML 2/50, small pancake, all four of these lenses are about the same size. This one is very sharp, probably the best of these four.

Because of the adapter, none of those makes a very small package, however.

M39 Russian lenses make a smaller package, I particularly like the Jupiter-8 2/50, makes a lovely small combo on the NEX and isa superb lens. The collapsible Industars are even smaller, they collapse most of the way when mounted on a NEX, you won't find anything that fits in the pocket better than one of these, due to the collapsible feature.

If you just want something small, pocketable yet high quality, look at a Samsung NX1000 or NX1100, IQ matches the 16mp NEX's, maybe surpasses it slightly, but the advantage is the excellent cheap, pancake lenses. The kit that has the small 20-50 zoom and the tiny 16mm pancake is a big bargain. There are also 20mm and 30mm pancakes, the 2/30 is a stunning lens and dirt cheap.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikon GN have smallest profile from SLR lenses what I did try. RF lenses are usully my light choice, Nikkor 2,8cm , Orion-15 also a 28mm lens, Biogon 35mm etc

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoops, I forgot the Biogon (it's in my avatar) and the little Nikkor, both are superb, the Biogon is better of course, because little beats a Biogon. They make very small packages on the NEX.

Before people come running saying 'oh, non-retrofocal wides give you magenta shifts etc on the NEX'...

Yes, the Biogon on the NEX-3, can sometimes have a very slight magenta cast in the corners,but it's only on certain shots and unless it happens to fall on the sky part of an image, it's not noticeable. The 16mp NEX sensor they use now probably doesn't have this issue, but even with the old 14mp sensor, the issue is very slight.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True "pancakes" for Sony NEX - converted lenses from half-frame cameras Canon Demi, Yashica Half, Fujica Half etc. It's normal(not wideangle) 30-32mm f/2.8 - f/1.4 lenses.

Or something like this:

KMZ 28/2 lens from microfiche reading device fitted to the barrel of poor old Samyang's 28/2.8.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pontus wrote:

Quote:
I guess the PEN 38/2.8 with adapter must be one of the smallest combinations.

Another lens (minotar 35mm f/2.8, MFD after modification 0.3m) might be interesting as well.
SLR lenses pancakes are not pancakes any more due to adapter size + lenses on NEX.

Olympus Pen 38mm f/2.8 on NEX 7

Minotar 35mm f/2.8 on NEX 7

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, I have played around with some lenses removed from old compacts, the one I want is the 40mm Sonnar.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the most compact SLR lenses is the Olympus OM Zuiko 24mm f/2.8. And it is one of the best ever in it's focal length, too.
But, due to the adapter, can't be considered a real pancake on NEX.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Pancake lenses on NEX Reply with quote

Pontus wrote:
Are there any MF pancake lenses out there that can still be considered pancakes with the adapter included?

A really thin combo will use a Leica-fitting rangefinder lens - the Voigtlander 35mm f2.5 screw mount is both compact and light, as well as relatively reasonably priced. Or maybe consider the Voigtlander 40mm f1.4 which is currently being offered at a reduced price by distributors in UK and USA. Not exactly cheap, but great value - and it's an excellent lens if you want high speed.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know about NEX but on M4/3, the Pentax 110 24/2.8 at 20.75mm with adapter is significantly thinner than the Pen F 38/2.8 which is 23.7mm with adapter. It's more of a cupcake than a pancake though.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEX with Industar-69 (L39 adapter) is quite thin too, only 1.3cm when screwed on adapter... thinner than retracted Industar 50 (I'm not talking about the inner part) :

It's one of my favorit lens, great for street photo.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Burstmox. I have an I-69 too, tiny indeed. Can you tell me, did you modify yours in some way so it reaches infinity?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it's pretty simple to do. I'm usualy very bad at doing stuff with my hands, but I did it in 10 min. I think there are lot of tutorial on the net, which would explain better than me. To say fast, I just unscrewed the 3 side screws (to remove the focus ring). Inside, there is 2 screws to limit the close focus and infinity focus. Just unscrew them, and you'll have infinity (going deeper inside) and almost macro possibilities (I never tested to max, I fear to totaly unscrew the focus ring) Smile .

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most probably the Pen-f lenses are the smallest decent lenses - the Pentax A100 and Industar 69 are ok for experiments but not good as a all-around lens.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use an old lens from a broken Konica 35 rangefinder attached to a reversing ring. 38mm is fine for me. If I want wide angle I take 2 photos and join them in PP

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I-69 is only experiment lens. Not saying that it's top notch quality, I think it does the job not bad at all. I used it today afternoon to do my lovely not interesting photos Very Happy (straight from Nex's JPEG ) :

#3 Note the Icrecream guy Very Happy , after the shot, we started little discussion about soviet lenses