Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Auto Revuenon 55/1.4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:02 pm    Post subject: Auto Revuenon 55/1.4 Reply with quote

I won this item at 12,50 euros (but has to pay 18 euros shipping costs! Crying or Very sad )

My question: are all 55mm Revuenons made by Tomioka, or did they buy them from various manufacturers?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure, perhaps come from different manufacturers. Good news is I never heard bad things about this lens. Can you show me a picture ?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomioka was a manufacturer , but also a design office ! Probably other lens mfg's made this lens under other brands ... I'm quite sure cosina and sun/sigma group made it, with tomioka drawings ...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say that 55/1.4 Tomiokas with metal focusing ring are optically slightly better (sharper), than the with rubber ring.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps they are come from different manufacturers. I had metal version of this lens. Good one, but Nikkors are better and CZ , Olympus also.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here´s some pictures of the lens:

eBay pictures, not very clear.

Can you say something by the serial number?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am, pretty sure this is not made by Tomioka unfortunately.This is looks to me a made by an unknown manufacturer who is made Praktica lens also.

Let we see what is other members opinion.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks a bit like my cosinon 55/1.4. Very nice from 2.8 but very soft wide open.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, guys.

I have to wait the lens to arrive, and send some pics then.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know about 5 versions:
  1. the pictured one
  2. rubber ring, O - shaped surface
  3. rubber ring, III - shaped surface
  4. metalic ring, III - shaped surface
  5. leather-like ring
  6. multi-coated (blue letters)

#2 is probably the most common, prone to iris failure
#4 is realy very sharp (I'd say the copy I had was slightly sharper than all #2 I've tested), seems to be a HQ build
#5 is sometimes referred as Tomioka original, rare, I've never tested this version, but I'd expect good build and optical quality
#6 rare, I've seen it only once on ebay (but there ar MC Cosinons and Porsts based on the same optical design)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="no-X"]I know about 5 versions:
  1. the pictured one
  2. rubber ring, O - shaped surface
  3. rubber ring, III - shaped surface
  4. metalic ring, III - shaped surface
  5. leather-like ring
  6. multi-coated (blue letters)

#5 is sometimes referred as Tomioka original, rare, I've never tested this version, but I'd expect good build and optical quality

Some time ago i had a version 5, optical good but build quality lousy.
Much play in de rear part which resulted often in images with either left of right side unsharp.
I sent it to a guy in Lituania for glass parts....

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a similar lens too a while ago. The aperture is stuck at 1.4, so I could only try it out wide open.

No PP, only RAW to jpg coverted, from D90.

In ViewNX's once magnified it didn't seem less sharp than my Nikon 50/2 Ai stopped down to 2.8. Unfortunately jpg conversion kills the effect.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gurdie wrote:
Here´s some pictures of the lens:

eBay pictures, not very clear.

Can you say something by the serial number?

This is CHINON made lens body.

@Lena: Show us more photos please.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't cope too well with the small DOF, but these seem more or less in focus.
No PP either.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to start up an old thread again, but it seemed logical to put my question here.

According to the list from no-X above, i have been offered a version 2, and it has stuck aperture blades. Now my question is: is this the version that is soft wide-open? And is it repairable or not? I must add that i have recently repaired a Rikenon 1.4/55 with loose aperture blades with succes, but this is obviously another lens... (b.t.w.: the Rikenon is sharp wide-open.)

Serial number starts with 20xxx , if that means anything.

Thank you!!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same lens. Wide open. CHINON branded.

UPDATED:
Mine is exactly like this one:
http://forum.mflenses.com/auto-chinon-mulitcoated-55-1-4-first-pictures-t25175.html

Last edited by izvar on Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrueLoveOne wrote:
I hate to start up an old thread again, but it seemed logical to put my question here.

According to the list from no-X above, i have been offered a version 2, and it has stuck aperture blades. Now my question is: is this the version that is soft wide-open? And is it repairable or not?

First of all, all of these lenses are soft(ish) wide open. It's not b "bug", it's a "feature" Smile

Your lens is most probably repairable. You will approach it from the front (don't touch anything on the rear). Focus the lens to minimum focusing distance. Note the 3 screws around the front barrel. Unscrew these 3 grub screws. Unscrew the front barrel.

Now, depending on which exact lens you have, you may be able to simply pull the entire optical assembly with your fingers - or you may have to unscrew (with a spanner wrench) a retention ring, after which you will be able to pull the entire optical assembly with your fingers . Unscrew front and rear lens groups (if possible; in one case I was unable to unscrew the rear group, and had to do everything from the front).

If you were able to unscrew both groups of glass, you can then simply soak the remaining diaphragm assembly in isopropyl alcohol or Zippo fluid (the latter works better), move and clean the blades. If not, you will have to disassemble the aperture mechanism, remove and clean the blades and other moving parts. I've done it, and it's rather simple compared to other lenses.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay !! Thanks a lot... sounds a bit like it's constructed the same way as my Rikenon 1.4/55. I thought it would be completely different, because it's the version with the rubber with the O-shaped grips on it.

I'll give it a try then! Wink

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of Japanese lenses are similar to a point just short of identical in construction. The M-42 normals especially so.