Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Mir 10a 28mm 3.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:17 pm    Post subject: Mir 10a 28mm 3.5 Reply with quote

I thought it would be nice to do a quick review of the adapted, manual lenses I have accumulated in the past 3 months.

The seven lenses are:

• Mir 10a 28mm F3.5
  • Mir 1b 37mm F2.8
  • Carl Zeiss Jena 135mm F3.5 MC
  • Carl Zeiss Jena 35mm F2.4 Flektogon
  • Carl Zeiss Jena 50 F1.8 Pancolor
  • Carl Zeiss Jena 50mm Tessar F2.8
  • Jupiter 9 85mm F2

The first lens to be reviewed is the Mir 10a 37mm F2.8

I attached the photo's of the lens, and noted the unusual iris of the lens in photo #3. This lends itself towards making some unusual "sheriff star" bokeh and flare.

Some shots from today:

This lens is *heavy* and substantial.. feels like it was made from an artillery shell, and takes a 67mm lens filter.

Here's examples found on flickr of that unique bokeh/flare:

This lens is not as sharp as the CZJ Flektogon, but the unique bokeh and portrait-softening attributes make it a good addition.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some nice photos - fun with the star bokeh. My 6 leaf iris on the flektogon 35 f2.4 has an odd shape around f2.8 which resolves to a rounded hexagon at f4. It only seems to affect highlights, the rest of OOF is smooth enough.
http://forum.mflenses.com/userpix/20133/6716_f2point8_1.jpg

Latching on to this thread - keep the reviews coming. I have recently rekindled an interest in these Eastern European gems (my first SLR in about 1980 was a Praktica MTL3, with a standard pentacon 50.)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats for the nice piece of glass. I never saw a flare like this you showed, it's quite different. I found this lens rendering sharp enough for most of our day-by-day landscape shots, but it flares! The Mir 1B also has some flares, but not with the star shaped one, it's almost unpredictable, i think, where the lens flare will fall. For 0º toward sun shots it's best to choose another lens.
How much can i expect to pay for a good copy of this MIR?

[]s,

Renato

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They should go for about £50 in good condition.

US sites are mainly about $100, though I've seen them for $195ish.

Just checked Ebay UK, 8 for sale from £69 to £165, most with filters and case.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks kendo1, I'll keep an eye on it.
BTW, i think i had understood the crazy bokeh of this lens, looking at the shape of the diaphragma space between the blades :

Any clue about how does it hits or not the big mirror of the Canon full frame cameras?

Renato

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent idea , look forward your review from each lenses.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like it