Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

"M" screw type adapter question
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:08 pm    Post subject: "M" screw type adapter question Reply with quote

I do have a question but first my story:

Today I received a very nice old Soligor 28mm f2.8. The condition is good to very good, I like the lens, it was not expensive (under US$20), and I am pleased. It's a "16", so Tokina.

OK, the eBay ad said "screw mount" and it is. I didn't figure on a T2 mount but many older lenses have T2 mounts and I must be flexible. So no complaint about the T2 mount.

Now moving closer to the question:

The lens came with an adapter, one I find strange probably solely out of ignorance/inexperience. The adapter has the T2 female thread you would have guessed. The male thread, though, is not M42. It is slightly larger in diameter. And the male side of the adapter is marked with only a single letter:

M

This is a T2 lens to something? adapter.

Does anyone know what adapter I have here?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a Miranda M44 screw thread

see here http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-99.html

also search this site for 'Miranda M44'

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:
It's a Miranda M44 screw thread

see here http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-99.html

also search this site for 'Miranda M44'

That's very kind of you to respond. Thank you. I appreciate it.

Certainly something like this is far outside my (prior) knowledge. Yet I now believe you are entirely correct.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome.

I suppose you'll be getting a different t-mount for this lens. The Miranda mount may be of some use to another of this forum as it's quite a rare one.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:
You're welcome.

I suppose you'll be getting a different t-mount for this lens. The Miranda mount may be of some use to another of this forum as it's quite a rare one.

Am uncertain as yet.

The adapter which came with the lens is actually a two-piece affair. The portion farthest from the camera is (female) threaded for the T-mount lens. Into that slides a separable insert which has the male M44 thread you identified. The insert is secured by three small, headless, pointed screws spaced about the periphery of the piece first mentioned. Thus, after disassembly, the adapter requires only a new insert, with an m42 male thread instead of the M44, to be useful to me.

It is within the capability of my lathe to create such an insert, which I would most likely fab up from a hunk of brass. It's not a complex piece at all.