Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Suggestion for high end tripod ball head
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:42 am    Post subject: Suggestion for high end tripod ball head Reply with quote

I have a very sturdy Gitzo carbon tripod to which I have attached a Benro B-4 ball head. The Benro looked very good and it was much cheaper than brands like RRS or Novoflex etc. I am however disappointed in the Benro, especially with heavy lenses. When I turn the knob to lock the ball head after framing, there is a significant give and the result is that the framing is off. In order to frame properly I have to frame high and try to anicipate the amount of movement after I lock the ball head.

I am now prepared to pay for quality. I need something that will hold even my 600/5.6 Nikkor which is 2.7Kg. I appreciate that there always will be some play with a lens this heavy, but with the Benro I experience a lot of play even with much smaller lenses. Which ball head would you recommend?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not see many people here use ball head for 600mm lens here. A ball head for super tele lens like this http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=BH-55-LR&type=3&eq=&desc=BH-55-LR%3a-Full-sized-ballhead-with-LR&key=it will be too heavy for daily use with normal or short tele photo. It will also be hard to operate with such heavy and long lens. Go for a gimbal head like this http://www.tripodhead.com/products/wimberley-main.cfm if you want a head for exclusive use on tripod or something like this http://acratech.net/product.php?productid=10&cat=1&page=1 if you want to use it on both tripod and monopod.

Some here should have a better idea on this topic as my experience is limited to 500mm Mirror lens. Wink

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Manfrotto 498RCZ is a similar spec and price to the Benro and it does the same thing, it moves when you clamp it tight. It's ok for short lenses but not for long. So I hardly use it, instead I use a Manfrotto 804RC2 pan / tilt head which is much easier and more accurate to use. I prefer pan & tilt now that I use this head more.
But I think a geared head is probably the best option for long lenses, or a gimbal.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a ball head fan myself; I do prefer geared or two-way heads when it comes to heavy/long lens combos.
Having said that, should you insist in using the ball head concept with a heavy/long tele, I'd guess your best option would be a FOBA Superball, it's a rock-solid performer with up to 15kg capacity.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a large no-name ball head that came attached to a Bogen tripod I bought second hand. It locks down even a fairly heavy camera/lens combo securely, but even it has some give before it finally comes to a rest. I also have a Benbo (related to the Benro?) tripod with ball head that locks down fairly well, but not as securely as this big no-name one. Anyway, I've just come to regard the sag as a "feature" when using ball heads. I have five different ones in various sizes, and they all do it.

Honestly, I prefer using a more traditional head style with a big and heavy camera lens combo, like what you'll have with a 600/4 with camera attached. Takes a lot of the headache out of framing a subject. What I often do, though, if I' stuck with using a heavy setup with my Bogen with ball head is I will adjust the legs, pulling one or more in slightly to correct the framing. Pulling a leg in raises that trisectional area of the frame. (Can't really call it a "quadrant")

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should buy a gimbal head.
They start at around $150.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you really want to go with a high end ball head then try an Arca Cube.
Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies and suggestions!

If I could find an Arca Cube head at 50% off, I might actually consider it Smile

I'm looking for a "do it all" head which means that a gimbal head is out of the question. After all, I rarely use my longer lenses but when I do, it has to be sturdy.

I have been eyeing the high end ballheads and will continue reading reviews. What has cought my attention though is the Manfrott/Bogen 405 with Arca Swiss type plate adapter. Not as fast to use as a ballhead but it should take the weight just fine and allows easy adjustment after locking the head. Hmm...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excuse me for commandeering your thread Pontus.

My cheap camera tripod is useless with long lenses - even using a remote release causes vibrations. I also have a really
heavy duty tripod designed to be used with surveying instruments, in my case my theo, I'd love to be able to mount a
standard camera head on it. However the screw thread is 5/8" diameter Whitworth and I can't find a head with a thread that
large, they're all 1/4" and 3/8". I could possibly make an adapter myself using a 5/8" tap and a 1/4" die, but it's a lot of
hassle without a proper workshop.

Any suggestions?

That Wimberley head looks fabulous Calvin, a bit too expensive for me though! Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@peterqd: Is the 5/8" Whitworth identical to the audio (mic stand) 5/8"-27 one?
If yes, there exist readily available 3/8" male to 5/8" female adapters.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One with a big (more gripping area), hollow (lightweight), ball, would fulfill design needs.

My cheap Slik has 4cm solid ball -- not too heavy; enough support, in a pinch, for 3.5kg 500/4, though not optimal for moon shots, but plenty sturdy for lenses I use most, to 300/4. I usually use a different type head (and tripod) with the longest lenses.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
One with a big (more gripping area), hollow (lightweight), ball, would fulfill design needs.

My cheap Slik has 4cm solid ball -- not too heavy; enough support, in a pinch, for 3.5kg 500/4, though not optimal for moon shots, but plenty sturdy for lenses I use most, to 300/4. I usually use a different type head (and tripod) with the longest lenses.

The Benro B4 that I have has a ball diameter of 64mm and it is rated for a maximum of 40Kg load. But it's not good enough for me.

Good specifications and nice looking but it doesn't work for me. I don't think I would be satisfied with another cheap alternative either.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SVP wrote:

Actually I've discovered the survey tripod thread is 5/8" UNC (C for coarse), not Whitworth, but they are virtually identical.
They are both much coarser thread than on mic stands - 11 threads per inch compared to 27 tpi. I found the mic stand
adapters Click here to see on Ebay you mean - they're almost exactly what I need, but as you can see in the pictures, the
5/8" female thread is too fine.

Anyway, thanks for your help! Smile

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read a lot of good things about the relatively new Photo Clam ballheads. Might be worth a look.

reallybigcameras.com

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
SVP wrote:

Actually I've discovered the survey tripod thread is 5/8" UNC (C for coarse), not Whitworth, but they are virtually identical.
They are both much coarser thread than on mic stands - 11 threads per inch compared to 27 tpi. I found the mic stand
adapters Click here to see on Ebay you mean - they're almost exactly what I need, but as you can see in the pictures, the

the UNC and Whit' threads are close enough to fit with no trouble at all. I have taps and dies in my workshop so I'll make an adapter for you the next time I can clear the junk from around my lathe. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
peterqd wrote:
SVP wrote:

the UNC and Whit' threads are close enough to fit with no trouble at all. I have taps and dies in my workshop so I'll make an adapter for you the next time I can clear the junk from around my lathe. Rolling Eyes

That's a fabulous offer Dave, thank you very much indeed!

There's an important thing to know before you do anything - the tripod screw is fitted in a slot in a loose bar, and the top
plate has a hole about 50mm dia. in the centre. This allows for sliding the theodolite around on the plate to achieve
perfect plumb over a point on the ground. The adapter would need to span across this hole onto the plate, so about
100mm long. Also the thread on the screw is about 12mm long, so the "adapter" needs to be at least that deep, so I was
anticipating using a 1" x 1/2" brass bar 4" long or thereabouts. Here's a pic of a tripod plate like mine - I'll measure it
more precisely and PM you the dimensions.

Thanks again!