Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Minolta MD & M42 lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:57 pm    Post subject: Minolta MD & M42 lenses Reply with quote

Hello,

When using this kind of adapter Click here to see on Ebay with M42 lenses will I have metering ability with the camera (stopped down) ? It depens on the camera model (which Minolta?)? The Av setting will work (stopping down the aperture of course) ?

Thank you.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Minolta MD & M42 lenses Reply with quote

montecarlo wrote:
Hello,

When using this kind of adapter Click here to see on Ebay with M42 lenses will I have metering ability with the camera (stopped down) ? It depens on the camera model (which Minolta?)? The Av setting will work (stopping down the aperture of course) ?

Thank you.

Hi Cosmin,
I've just done some testing on this. I own a Minolta X300 and a MD-M42 adapter. I've put an Helios 44M-6 on it and yes, the light meter works properly!. The metering in the X300 is TTL (thru the lens), so when I change the aperture, the meter goes down or up depending on the sense. The X300 has no Av mode, but it should work as well in any camera that has it.

Best regards,
Jes.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to add the pictures...

Best regards,
Jes.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much Jes. Thats good news. There are some Minolta MD bodies prettty cheap on the market.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an X700 (briefly), and thought it was a great camera. Plenty of features, good metering and are going for a steal on ebay at the moment. Wish I still had it!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Minolta MD & M42 lenses Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:

...the light meter works properly!....

works ok in M (full manual) mode too ? I read in a manual of a X series Minolta that in M Mode the light meter is not working, only in Av (I think some XG... camera was - bay be XG-9 but I'm not sure).
Thank you.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Minolta MD & M42 lenses Reply with quote

montecarlo wrote:
Jesito wrote:

...the light meter works properly!....

works ok in M (full manual) mode too ? I read in a manual of a X series Minolta that in M Mode the light meter is not working, only in Av (I think some XG... camera was - bay be XG-9 but I'm not sure).
Thank you.

I don't use the X300 since long, but I don't recall what you say... I think I keep the manual. Let me look for it and do a couple of tests more, but it will take a couple of days.

Jes.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dug deeply in to the internet and in the Minolta manuals http://forum.mflenses.com/other-lenses-and-cameras-t2802,start,15.html#38773 I found the X-300's manual and other XG series cameras ones. Yes, the XGs don't measure the light when the camera is set on M (even with MD Minolta mount lenses) Sad .Instead, the X (X-300, X-700) do Smile Thats weird. Pretty inconvenient if we are comparing it with, lets say Pentax cameras made in the same period.
Thank you anyway Jes.

Cosmin.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

montecarlo wrote:
. . .Yes, the XGs don't measure the light when the camera is set on M (even with MD Minolta mount lenses) Sad .Instead, the X (X-300, X-700) do Smile Thats weird. . .
Cosmin.

Cosmin,
That is wierd since my XGM does measure light in manual mode Shocked Confused Its right beside me on Manual and I gave the shutter release a light touch and exposure of 1/4 sec was lit up by the LED even though it was set at 1/60th - for the flash (with a Minolta lens on it - or Tamron or Sigma or _____ minolta mount) Smile

Now I have bought a roxsen adapter for an M42 lens but I didn't like shooting with the appeture shut down. Its why I bought a Praktica off of Attila - I don't like altering lenses and want to try out M42s.

That said though, I firstly love my Minolta.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cosmin,
I forgot to comment -

The rokkor files is a great site along with

Minman
http://members.aol.com/manualminolta/index.htm

Through him you'll find several other Minolta groups. (I pop in occasionally on several of them.)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much. I looked again, and yes, in the XGM model does work the light meter even when shooting in M mode . See "... replacing the XG-9. Changes from that model included a metered manual mode ..." from wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minolta_XG-M
I was searching for a nice (smaller but resistant) and CHEAP Minolta body to use it as a M42 body. I seen that the Minoltas (no matter if MD or AF ) are pretty cheap, and the prices are on the same level as the M42 body cameras (except Praktica/Zenit) and much more cheap than a Pentax Spotmatic and with more features.
Of course that there is the Canon FD alternative but the Canons are more expensive than the MD Minoltas .
Thanks again.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess the Minolta's are gems just looking to get grabbed up Very Happy

I learned 27 years ago on an XGM and my old one "died" in storage. I could only replace it with a Minolta SRT200 - a manual tank! Last spring I finally got my XGM Very Happy Very Happy (Though actually its an X70 ??? What the XGM was called when released in Japan.How it got to Toronto I don't know but it did and was a 9+).

I find I love the feel of the XGM and the Yahoo groups reminded me - its very intuitive and I have intantcomfort using this camera.

Good luck in your hunt.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Minolta MD & M42 lenses Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:
... The X300 has no Av mode, but it should work as well in any camera that has it.

Best regards,
Jes.

Hello,

But in the manual it says that the X-300 (X-7a) has Aperture priority mode : http://ca.konicaminolta.com/support/manuals/film-cameras/film_mf_slr/x_7a/x_7a_manual.pdf ( http://ca.konicaminolta.com/support/manuals/film-cameras/film_mf_slr/index.html ). Are you sure ? When you rotate the shutter speed wheel the AUTO seting doesn't appear ?

Thank you.

PS. Yes, I'm still searchig a nice Minolta MD body.