Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Aperture ring - grease after declicking lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:54 pm    Post subject: Aperture ring - grease after declicking lens Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I'm an interested reader of this forum now for quite a long time and I gained a lot of knowledge thanks to all the expertise by the users here. However, on this matter I couldn't find anything that would help me.
The only thread referring to declicked lenses is this one: http://forum.mflenses.com/de-clicking-lenses-for-video-t36646.html

Propellor stated that he used Lithium grease:

Propellor wrote:

You only need to take out the ball bearing and tiny spring. I used lithium grease (a little bit !!!) to make the aperture ring a little bit stiffer. Remember; the ball bearing gives resistance to the ring. Once removed it moves freely and to easily, that's why the grease.

However, there are tons of different grease mixes and types out there plus the aperture ring with the ball itself is coated in grease as well. So which grease do you recommend if I just want to apply the new grease without removing the old one that the aperture ring gets stiffer?
Graham Playford - a lens repair technician in Southeast London - showed me a grease he uses for binoculars...but that was almost like a glue Wink

I know by reading the forum that NYE grease is recommended. I checked their website, but there are tons of different types.

Would be great if someone can help me out. Furthermore, if there's a recommendation for the amount I should apply that would be helpful as well Wink. Otherwise I'll play around.

Ah, and one for thing: should I remove the old grease before applying the new one?

Thank you!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which lens are we talking about? How about this comment from the thread you linked:

Quote:
Why not buy a continuous aperture lens? There are many of excellent quality, like nearly all Soviet lenses and nearly all old Meyer and Zeiss Jena lenses.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remove the old grease, it will contaminate the new grease and soon go sticky again.

I use a lightweight general purpose grease, the sort of grease used on a bicycle crank is fine. A good quality grease will withstand high temperatures without the oil leaching out, essential if you are in the hot sun for long periods.
Use as little as you can, it's easier to add a tiny bit than clean excess off the blades and glass.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But I think his purpose is to make the aperture ring stiffer than it is without the ball?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, stiff, but I should be able to turn the aperture smoothly. At the moment it's just loose, so the blades are doing what they want.

@ Lloydy: when you talk about lightweight general purpose grease, can you state a specific brand and name? The same for good quality grease.
My main problem is to find the right one out of the tons that are out there. Instead of testing all those greases by myself it would be great if I could start already with your expertise and make my way from there.

I just read a white paper/catalog of Shin-Etsu. I thought the Shin-Etsu G40M could be appropriate? There's one Canadian seller on Ebay: http://www.ebay.de/itm/Shin-Etsu-G-40M-Silicone-Grease-for-Honda-/150956764371?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item2325b96cd3#ht_500wt_1180

It states for Honda - so I'm a bit confused.