Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

How to build an infinity wall (cyclorama) - step by step
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:37 pm    Post subject: How to build an infinity wall (cyclorama) - step by step Reply with quote

Already last year I told myself I had had enough of cardboard and vinyl backgrounds. What is the use of paying 90 EUR per roll of white paper, or 400 EUR for a vinyl backdrop that wears out instantly (paper) or within months (vinyl). Choice was made that the next studio will be with a permanent infinity wall, in matte white. I can always paint it glossy if I need to, and I no longer need to worry about max width of backdrop paper being insufficient - 5 meters wide yeah baby yeah!

What is needed for a project like this? Well, of course the space. Preferably with more than 4m to the roof. It took us some while to find a suitable location as we wanted a studio with shopping windows and entrance from the street. What else is needed? Well...

Space suitable for work (it took 5 days to build it including time waiting for glue/paint/plaster to dry - make sure you can work in the meantime)

ghettoblaster, this model works on batteries which is very handy when there is no electricity in a renovation space (heavy machines require so much power you'll blow fuses if you overload electric circuits)

shitty weather outdoors (keeps you motivated for indoors work)

large and wide wall suitable for building the cyclorama or infinity studio wall

workspace wall, the one that needs no retouching

lots of machines and gizmos

chairman of the board, someone who is wise enough to stay clear of the actual implementation of tasks

selected books and vinyls to keep your mind clear and focused

carpenter who knows how to make the floor and wall water-level

tools for simpler tasks you can do yourself, ie. smoothing the infinity wall seams

wall in place, the bend is next

this is where expertise is most appreciated - the wall and floor needs to be absolutely level

don't forget to leave your mark, should someone someday have to disassemble this. It's also a good idea to hide a bottle of expensive booze under the cyclorama floor, to reward the brave person who has to find and unscrew the 132 screws 120mm long, that attach it solidly to the wall and floor...)

smooth seams, will not show when painted over with matte white

sanding the wall with 150 sandpaper produces an awful lot of dust, make sure your cameras are safe and isolated from the dust

the infinity bend looking good

to be continued...

Last edited by Esox lucius on Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:23 pm; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking mighty fine!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, looks good so far.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when applying white plaster to fill seams and screwholes, remember to wear proper clothing Very Happy

Last edited by Esox lucius on Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect attire. Laughing