Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Stinkers
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:54 pm    Post subject: Stinkers Reply with quote

Anybody got an absolute stinker of a lens they are attached to?
It could be in really bad condition or just not very well regarded - or both, but you seem to keep using it or just don't have the heart to part with it.

I've got a Palinar 100mm f/4 preset that is full of wispy fungus and has a loose aperture blade - it's not worth selling, but it produces decent results and I like using it so much that I just can't bring myself to pay for a replacement.

Last edited by Alternate Internet ID on Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope. None. Nada. I strive for the very best in lenses and condition.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hifisapi wrote:
Quote:
Nope. None. Nada. I strive for the very best in lenses and condition.

And if they're not in perfect condition, I'll clean and shine and dust and lube.....

Then I'll buy the same lens until i get the "right" condition one.... for my taste.... Embarassed

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Condition is an obsession of collectors. I have loads of lenses with imperfections and they all shoot great.

I had that Palinar 4/100, a decent little lens made by Tokina, I found contrast was low but after some PP the results were good.

The worst condition lens I have and use is a Kershaw made Kalee Boomed Projection lens, it has separation, scratches, a chip, bubbles, but it shoots beautifully so I don't care, my lenses are to be used, not admired in a glass case.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use 'em most everyday (not all at once !)

Bring 4 or 5 on every trip abroad i do..

Never leave home without 1 or 2 (except to go to work)

Still i love 'em when they are nice and shinny.....

and even though beat up ones will still make good images
i'm just not gonna keep them for to long...

I'm not a collector... I guess i'm just crazy !

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my last remaining AF lens... although the AF doesn't work, it has slight fungus, and a scratch on the front element. 24/2.8 Sigma Superwide II. Even in that condition, it takes a decently sharp picture.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian just unloaded a stinker on me, a Canon FD 70-210 f4 - which has had more than a passing acquaintance with concrete. I think it has been dropped, front element down, on many occasions. It does however take pictures, but I'm no judge if they are good, bad or ugly.
This lens is ugly, but it doesn't qualify for the question of this topic, I'm not keeping this optical horror to myself, it deserves to be shared.

My stinker that I will not part with is a Soligor 35 3.5, one of five 'chrome eared' Soligors that I have. Four are good, even very good. But sadly the tiny little 35, in perfect condition, isn't in the same league. 99% of the pictures I take with it are frustratingly bad. But it's one of the set, and sometimes I give it one last chance to redeem itself. Rolling Eyes