Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Jupiter 9 in a crop format
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:32 am    Post subject: Jupiter 9 in a crop format Reply with quote

Hi everybody,
I have a Canon 70D and I am interested in the vintage russian lenses.

I was planning to buy a Jupiter 9 because of its beautiful bokeh. However I saw a video where a guy tested the Helios 40 in a crop format and the effect of the swirly bokeh was almost lost due to the fact that the sensor is not full format.

My question is if there is the same problem with the Jupiter 9 in crop format lenses.
Do some of you already tried this lens in a crop format camera and can share some photos?
Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:09 am    Post subject: Re: Jupiter 9 in a crop format Reply with quote

peruexplorer wrote:
Hi everybody,

I was planning to buy a Jupiter 9 because of its beautiful bokeh. However I saw a video where a guy tested the Helios 40 in a crop format and the effect of the swirly bokeh was almost lost due to the fact that the sensor is not full format.

My question is if there is the same problem with the Jupiter 9 in crop format lenses.
Do some of you already tried this lens in a crop format camera and can share some photos?
Thanks

I don't think that the Jupiter 9 is known for swirly bokeh, I certainly haven't experienced it.
Rather it is soft and dreamy.
Here are some taken on Fuji XE-1 which is a crop sensor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some examples from my Ricoh GXR-M APS-C camera shot wide open at F2:

If you go for this lens then buy such a a lens shade as well. It's prone to flare:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jupiter 9 on sony crop wide open.
smoooooooooth bokeh, i love it

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peruexplorer wrote:

I was planning to buy a Jupiter 9 because of its beautiful bokeh.

tb_a wrote:

If you go for this lens then buy such a a lens shade as well. It's prone to flare:

The lens shade may be a good idea, but make sure to get the SLR version of the Jupiter-9 for your Canon, the RF version in this picture will only work OK on mirrorless cameras.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Jupiter 9 in a crop format Reply with quote

peruexplorer wrote:

The Helios-40 is known for a specific type of bokeh effect. I call it "cyclonic" bokeh, because it swirls in a circle around the center. A crop sensor will cut off the edges of the circle. In truth the Helios-40 only does that in certain circumstances, and it's perfectly usable on a crop sensor camera (except that it's extremely heavy).

The Jupiter-9 is completely different, as you can see from the images above. It's a smashing lens. If you want one, go ahead and try it out and don't worry.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Jupiter 9 did swirl about the same percentage would be lost on crop sensor as the Helios 40 loses.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
Some examples from my Ricoh GXR-M APS-C camera shot wide open at F2:

Wouu your photos are wonderful, thank you very much for sharing them with me Like 1
and also thank you for the advise about the lens hood, if I buy those lenses I will for sure buy a lens hood.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MartinV wrote:
peruexplorer wrote:

I was planning to buy a Jupiter 9 because of its beautiful bokeh.

tb_a wrote:

The lens shade may be a good idea, but make sure to get the SLR version of the Jupiter-9 for your Canon, the RF version in this picture will only work OK on mirrorless cameras.

Yes, I had a doubt regarding the lens so I just send a message to the seller asking if the lens that he is selling work in a SLR camera, because I know about the other version that is RF and of course I am not interested in that one since I don't have any mirrorless camera.
By the way I've heard that the black version is the best because it has the sharpest image. Do you know if it is true?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peruexplorer wrote:

Yes, I had a doubt regarding the lens so I just send a message to the seller asking if the lens that he is selling work in a SLR camera, because I know about the other version that is RF and of course I am not interested in that one since I don't have any mirrorless camera.
By the way I've heard that the black version is the best because it has the sharpest image. Do you know if it is true?

Make sure it's the original M42 version. Then it's compatible with your Canon SLR, mine is the M39 RF version. Be aware that there is a M39 SLR version as well, sometimes fitted with a M42 ring; however this adapted M39 SLR lens doesn't work properly at infinity as the register distance is slightly too short.

Optically there is no version difference, but the M42 versions seem to be the newer ones. I think they are all black, but I'm not sure. I have no idea if they provide the sharpest images. Not always is newer better as well.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
peruexplorer wrote:

Make sure it's the original M42 version. Then it's compatible with your Canon SLR, mine is the M39 RF version. Be aware that there is a M39 SLR version as well, sometimes fitted with a M42 ring; however this adapted M39 SLR lens doesn't work properly at infinity as the register distance is slightly too short.

Optically there is no version difference, but the M42 versions seem to be the newer ones. I think they are all black, but I'm not sure. I have no idea if they provide the sharpest images. Not always is newer better as well.

Oh yes I will make sure that it is a M42 version original and not one M39, in fact I read about a case like the one that you are describing and the guy who bought it couldn't do anything with the lens, just turn it back.

I would like to share something with you, it is about the lens I want to buy, I saw the photos and I saw oil in the blades. I read that there shouldn't be oil in the blades because that could affect the quality of the image with unwanted reflections.
When I asked about the oil the seller told me that:

"The presence of oil on the diaphragm blade does not in any way affect the quality of its operation. The Jupiter-9 lens is not equipped with an automatic diaphragm (jumper), so there may be factory oil on the aperture blades. During the manufacture of these lenses during the USSR period, oil was specially applied to the petals by the lens manufacturer for smooth aperture operation. Oil interferes with the operation of the diaphragm only in those lenses that are equipped with an automatic diaphragm"

I would like to know your opinion about this please

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sorry I forgot to add the photo of the blades

[/url]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO the seller is right. Some of my old Russian lenses have visible oily aperture blades and I didn't see any impact at all.
The most common problem with oily blades is indeed on automatic apertures where this may impact the functionality. Typically seen on old GDR made lenses (Zeiss Jena, etc.) where this may lead to stuck apertures.
I never ever had such a problem with my manual Russian lenses and I have quite many of them. On the other side almost all of my old GDR lenses with automatic apertures went to the waste basket for this reason (too much effort to repair them).
BTW, my own Jupiter-9 shows oily blades as well. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
...almost all of my old GDR lenses with automatic apertures went to the waste basket for this reason (too much effort to repair them)

OUCH!!!