Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Summicron-R 50mm (v1) DIY CLA question
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:46 pm    Post subject: Summicron-R 50mm (v1) DIY CLA question Reply with quote

I just got a Summicron 50mm, the early one from Leicaflex days (1966), that I am cleaning (and changing mounts on - want to use it on both Nikon and Canon).

It had some light corrosion and a very dry helicoil, which I have now cleaned and regreased and it works fine. However, i also want to get to the lens surfaces around the aperture, which have some dust and haze (hopefully no fungus, but we will see).

I have the optical tube free from the helicoil, and I can, if I want, unscrew the spanner rings for front and back lens elements to clean just them. But on many old Leica lenses, one can also unscrew half the lens, without real force, to get to the middle where the aperture is. This doesnt seem to be possible. Either there are no threads, or the aluminium has corroded and "welded" to itself. Or...?

If anyone attempted this, please respond with your findings, links, or even better, pictures.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bump, plus:

The front lens element is held in with a retaining ring. When unscrewed, the glass lens comes out easily. In its hole I can see a stepped shiny alloy tube, and a black ring (also stepped) before the next element. This black ring seems to be stuck. Either it is held in from the other side, or it is "rusted" in place because of the alloy around it (aluminium?) having corroded. If it is alternative 2, then I can proceed in making a tool that can grab the ring, but not in the first case.

It seems that although the lens has seen some moisture, the damage is from corrosion and not fungus. It can still become a great lens again, if I could just clean all the surfaces. Does anyone have the Tomosy Leica book? I read in a thread somewhere that it has diagrams on the Summicron-R version 1.

Hopefully someone has some info.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody sitting on a PDF, or even homemade disassembly pics? I guess I have to shoot it with the dirt between the lenses then.
Sad

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same lens that has some amount of fungus over the first and last elements which i had disassembled without problems. But it was impossible for me at that time to get rid of the fungus layer without the risk of damaging the optical glass, so, i'm stuck on it. BTW, i didn't find any diagrams for this lens, just following the common sense,

Renato

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RSalles: The first and last elements are no problem for me either. But how does one get to the middle elements?
I have repaired and cleaned many lenses with haze or fungus before (including an old Summilux-M 50mm) without any problem.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marzipan wrote:
RSalles: The first and last elements are no problem for me either. But how does one get to the middle elements?
I have repaired and cleaned many lenses with haze or fungus before (including an old Summilux-M 50mm) without any problem.

Sorry, it's out of my newbee capabilities of DIYfer at this moment, but, who knows, maybe we can have some news coming from Germany, for instance, and it will drop a shinning light on our way?

RSalles

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RSalles wrote:

Sorry, it's out of my newbee capabilities of DIYfer at this moment, but, who knows, maybe we can have some news coming from Germany, for instance, and it will drop a shinning light on our way?

Yes, but I have only a link to a Summicron R 35mm f/2.0 repair:
http://www.digicamclub.de/showthread.php?t=12430

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great documentation! Will be useful when I hopefully get a second generation Summicron-R 35.
On the 50 v1 there is not such a convenient way to separate front and rear groups, or at least not what I have seen so far.