Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Samyang 35/1.4 F vs 35/1.5 T
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:47 pm    Post subject: Samyang 35/1.4 F vs 35/1.5 T Reply with quote

Hi everyone. In the near future I am going to purchase Samy's 35mm lens. There are 2 versions available at the moment: photography lens http://www.samyang.co.uk/samyang-35mm-f14-as-umc-lens.html and cine lens http://www.samyang.co.uk/samyang-35mm-t15-as-umc-vdslr-lens.html . It is also stated those two are optically the same but I am still not sure are they identical IQ-wise? Do they produce the same pics in terms of sharpness/contrast/bokeh? I do like to shot some video so my choice is near cine model but if it somehow worse than photography version I will surely get it instead. Has anyone had both lens experience?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.samyang.co.uk/samyang-35mm-t15-as-umc-vdslr-lens.html
Quote:
The Samyang 35mm T1.5 AS UMC VDSLR lens version is optically the same as the standard Samyang 35mm f1.4 AS UMC version.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well hm, I've read that but still not sure that is why I am asking

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arctures wrote:
Well hm, I've read that but still not sure that is why I am asking

Quote:
The focus ring features toothed rings compatible with professional geared follow focus systems available in the film industry and likewise a toothed, decoupled (de-clicked) aperture ring. Such modifications allow for smooth and precise control over focus and aperture during video recording / filming. This allows for ultimate manual control of focus and exposure when filming from one scene to another with different light source intensities, such as changing exposure values (EVs) from inside to outside, or even in-camera fade ins etc.

Judging from the information on the website: The VDSLR version allows for more precise aperture control which will let you adjust the DOF more precisely. Sharpness and contrast should be the same for both lens at every aperture.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cine lenses ussualy have better quality control etc but I doubt this Samyang is the same case - otherwise they will pronounce it. seems the only difference is focus/iris rings

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there's really not much difference between Cine and non cine. Cine just have a newer body. I mean, there's only a $50 difference between cine and non cine.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I'll proceed with cine version.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main difference is toothed rings to allow a pull focus to be installed. If you are going to be shooting Footage, get the Cine version. If not, save the difference, and put it towards another lens.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, this is my first post in this website, I'm here because I saw your answers about the question at first post and I wish to say mine thoughts. I belive you should go a little bit deeper in this question, because the lenses are not cheap, and also (but is the most of my words) who really belive to corporations and marketing?

The first think that I see is that they write "it's the same". ok. but if this is true, why one is f1.4 and the second is f1.5? so something is already different in title.... and my mind gone in blue screen.

I wish you could take a look to this comparation, this is just an example to see how to do really say if something is better or worse:

Code:
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=771&Camera=453&Sample=0&FLI=0&API=0&LensComp=821&CameraComp=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=0

Said this, I wish to say that I didn't want to be rude, I'm sorry if I gave this impression to you! Smile
if anyone can argument about the difference beetween 35 f1.4 and 35 f1.5 with proofs, please share with us! Smile

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome greenbeens

Quote:
why one is f1.4 and the second is f1.5

the same lens can be f1.4 lens and t1.5

wiki wrote:
A T-stop (for Transmission-stops) is an f-number adjusted to account for light transmission efficiency

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
welcome greenbeens

Quote:
why one is f1.4 and the second is f1.5

the same lens can be f1.4 lens and t1.5

wiki wrote:
A T-stop (for Transmission-stops) is an f-number adjusted to account for light transmission efficiency
thank you Poilu! Smile very well I feel better now I did't notice this t/f eheheh! Very Happy

to be sure that the T1.5 is really the same F1.4 and then buy it (because I'm really next to buy this eheheh) I really wish to see a test from both, I hope the digital picture will do it very soon. buy who know! I will try to ask them personally with an email, my promise! Smile

Until this if anyone can post articles, reviews, links or what so ever stuff about test on the t1.5 and comparations are -really- wellcome!

thx to you all! Smile