Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Higon Itohkogaku 200mm 4.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:53 pm    Post subject: Higon Itohkogaku 200mm 4.5 Reply with quote

I picked this up for £5 a while back and haven`t had much chance to use it. I think I still haven`t got infinity focus spot on but found a nice model through the week when I least expected it.

I was too slow at squeezing a few off here, the next frame he was behind a tree...

The light was a mixed bag. It`s a preset, long, slim lightweight lens with aperture blades nearer the front than rear, it has nice colours and light gathering properties though I`m not sure I`ve got the best of it here. Mostly shot between f5.6 to f8

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats from another Higon owner!

(I have a 135/3.5 pre-set in T2 mount: http://forum.mflenses.com/itohkogaku-higon-135-3-5-preset-samples-t19061,highlight,%2Bhigon.html)

Can You show a pic of the lens?

A very interesting looking horse, by the way.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like a nice lens to me,
and your model is very cute Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, very nice images.

A bit overexposed? Perhaps the lens is prone to flare or mi monitor is out of order. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gurdie wrote:
Congrats from another Higon owner!

(I have a 135/3.5 pre-set in T2 mount: http://forum.mflenses.com/itohkogaku-higon-135-3-5-preset-samples-t19061,highlight,%2Bhigon.html)

Can You show a pic of the lens?

A very interesting looking horse, by the way.

Thanks Gurdie, here are some quick shots of the lens, taken tonight...

Next to a supertakumar

It has 12 blades and is probably? a T2 mount that just arrived though this one doesn`t screw right to the end of the lens, I tried a YS adapter which screws to the end but couldn`t quite hit infinity ( that`s the one I used in these shots).

Last edited by Macca on Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

std wrote:
Seems like a nice lens to me,
and your model is very cute Very Happy

Thanks, the model is a Clydesdale, now officially a rare breed they were bred in Lanarkshire as big work horses in the days before steam and tractor engines, big beautiful animals, the ground vibrates some when they canter!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DR.JUAN wrote:
Nice, very nice images.

A bit overexposed? Perhaps the lens is prone to flare or mi monitor is out of order. Rolling Eyes

Thanks, I didn`t have a 52mm hood with me and I think it would have benefitted from that..some pp added to try and reduce the flaring effects on contrast etc. It`s probably single coated. It has some interesting flare effects, this one is from my only other time out with it..

no pp in that one, I would like to use it in more varied lighting conditions, the t2 adapter focuses it beyond infinity also so I may try that out.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn the lens!
I like Mr.Clydesdale!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your Higon 200/4.5 lens look similar than my 135/3.5 lens, black finish, red diamond, lettering and so on. I´ve seen a pic of Higon 400/6.3 lens with similar markings.

So probably it is a manufacturer´s own brand and they had a lens line.

I´ve found also mentions about

Itoh 35/2.8 Auto Higon,
Itoh Kogaku Tele Higon 135/2.8
Itohkogaku Higon 300/5.6 and
Itoh Kogaku Higon 100-200/5.6 zoom lenses.

In Japan, there´s a company called Ito Kogaku Kogyo, which seems to manufacture optical lenses for spectacles, or something like that. They have about 50 patents for lens coatings and such.

This is a pure guess, but maybe this Ito company (using Itoh spelling) tried to get into lens business sometime in 60 – 70´s, maybe they manufactured lenses for other brands, too. Soligor?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Himself Laughing Yes he is a nice beastie!

Gurdie I read on a vintage binocular collectors blog they were a respected binocular manufacturer, as you say the probably branched into lenses for a while. It is a very "telescopic" piece in its design!