Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

NYC in January
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:25 am    Post subject: NYC in January Reply with quote

Got a chance to spend a long weekend in NYC.

All shots with Flektogon 35/2.8. I'm finding it a great walkabout lens.

1) Skyline as seen from the top of the Rockefeller Center. It was clear and cold. The harsh sun on the water created color artifacts but the B+W version works for me.

2) Same vantage point, looking down on Central Park.

3) Spent a whole day at the American Museum of Natural History. It's awesome.

4) AMNH

5) AMNH

6) Times Square

7) Weird (moire?) artifacts on the girders, but the B+W still works for me.

Cool Brooklyn Bridge. This is an HDR image, let me know what you think, don't hold back!

9) Another HDR image, close to Wall St. I like this one because you can see so many buildings, in so many styles. The other thing I like is it shows how on a sunny day it doesn't do you a damn bit of good at street level.

10) Central Park. As a country boy it's a bit surreal. I can see how New Yorkers would love it but it's all a too manicured for me, and you're still inescapably, obviously, in the middle of the city.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice pictures.
I like both HDR's because you did't exaggerate the effect.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Times Square and the subtle HDR on the Wall Street shot work best for me.

I think the Wall street shot could be improved by correcting the verticals. The buildings on the far left and right aren't leaning enough to be feature of the shot so I think it's best to straighten them.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent series, #2 surprised me a bit, as I started looking at it from the top, and did not expect the shade to hold that much detail. Was this with the Nex?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yebisu wrote:
Times Square and the subtle HDR on the Wall Street shot work best for me.

I think the Wall street shot could be improved by correcting the verticals. The buildings on the far left and right aren't leaning enough to be feature of the shot so I think it's best to straighten them.

I completely missed the lean, shooting tall buildings is new to this country boy Laughing

I made a stab at correcting the perspective.

If I completely straighten the lines I crop the right hand building completely out. So this version corrects the lean a bit, while only cropping a bit of that building. What do you think?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:
Excellent series, #2 surprised me a bit, as I started looking at it from the top, and did not expect the shade to hold that much detail. Was this with the Nex?

I maxed the alpha slider and yeah the shadows came back nicely.

Yes the NEX, I should remove the 1000D from my sig because I don't think it's fired a click since I got the NEX.

Nothing against Canon, the Rebel served me well but the sensor is Jurassic by today's standards. I love the haptics of the NEX with the tilt-screen, like the ultimate waist-level-finder. And of course the NEX is perfect for my Zeiss Jena zebras which I only bought because they were bargains in Exakta auto mount.