Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Help: Split screen and sensor positions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:44 pm    Post subject: Help: Split screen and sensor positions Reply with quote

Changed a split screen from defunct AE-1 to my Kodak. Everything went well execpt the focus is not just exactly right (as always ..) just a few centimetres.

I'm using a centimeter stick measure to check focus: when split screen is focused to say 45 cm from my side the sensor is focused on 40 from me, about 5 cm closer than the split screen. (is that back or front focus).

So should I
1) bring the split screen lower
2) adjust the mirror (can be done in Kodak)

thanks

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All about it. The chart at http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/900404/1&year=2010#8501507 explains it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That discussion is really confusing.

I do have front focusing (? or do I): Sensor is focused in front of the split screen focused object. (about 5cm at a distance about 1 meter).

So should I lower the split screen?

Quote:
I understand the act of putting shims under the screen to compensate for front focusing ..

Does this mean
1) under (between split screen and mirror)
or
2) under (between split screen and prism)
?

Quote:
From the charts: if the screen is 0.2mm closer to the prism than it should be, and you focus a 35mm lens at a distance of 1.8m (1:50 magnification), the image on the film will be in focus about 0.7m further away, at 2.5m.

This one suggests that if you have front focus you should set the split screen further up (towards the prism?)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The discussion is confusing, but the *chart* is spot on.

From the chart, upper left section: Camera is front focusing. Focus screen is too far in front of sensor -- remove shims from eyepiece side of focus screen to move it closer to eyepiece.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you!

Can't remove shims. I'll adjust the mirror when I find my 1,5mm allen key. (I happen to have one but it is so small I lost it when we moved here.)

edit: argh, it might be sometihng other than 1,5mm - I mean my lost key

Quote:
measured in millimeters (mm) are:
0.7, 0.9, 1.0, 1.25, 1.3, 1.5
2 to 6 in 0.5 mm increments