Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Hexanon and Infinity focusing
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 8:12 pm    Post subject: Hexanon and Infinity focusing Reply with quote

I bought a Hexanon 35f2.8 to use with my A7. There are good feedbacks on forums about this lens.
I was quiet satisfiied at the beginning .It is a nice lens with good sharpness ,contrast and colours.
After a while , I discovered that I was not able to focus at infinity with a Fotga adapter. I bought another adapter and the problem is still there.
Could it be a problem with the lens itself?
Any ideas or experiences ?

Thanks

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Hexanon and Infinity focusing Reply with quote

memetph wrote:
I bought a Hexanon 35f2.8 to use with my A7. There are good feedbacks on forums about this lens.
I was quiet satisfiied at the beginning .It is a nice lens with good sharpness ,contrast and colours.
After a while , I discovered that I was not able to focus at infinity with a Fotga adapter. I bought another adapter and the problem is still there.
Could it be a problem with the lens itself?
Any ideas or experiences ?

Thanks

does it focus beyond infinity or just short of? If it's short of infinity try to remove the AR mount ring (often attached with screws to the Nex to AR adapter and sand it down and retest it until you get infinity focus.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think not so far from infinity.
I have the same problem with two adapters. One of them is branded Fotga. I have no problem with two other Fotga adapters ( OM and Minolta).

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

memetph wrote:
I think not so far from infinity.
I have the same problem with two adapters. One of them is branded Fotga. I have no problem with two other Fotga adapters ( OM and Minolta).

Try to buy the brand 'prost' I find them superior to the fotga's, better build quality same price. I have a fotga adapter for konica AR but it's way to loose for my liking bought the prost and it's really good fit.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could go the route of shaving some of the adapter off but your lens will probably be a bit wobbly then, following the normal designs of he canon lenses you could readjust the lens to reach infinity but disassembly of the front will be required.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a caliper, you can measure the thickness of the adapter(exclude the bottom part with the bayonet). It should be equal to or slightly less than 22.5mm or you will have problem reaching infinity.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Layer-cake wrote:
you could go the route of shaving some of the adapter off but your lens will probably be a bit wobbly then, following the normal designs of he canon lenses you could readjust the lens to reach infinity but disassembly of the front will be required.

It's a konica, and they are quite tricky to open up the right way. I would never ever advise anybody to tamper with lenses because you destroy the lens and I will never work properly with good adapters.
In no circumstance does he need to open up the lens if you can't reach infinity. Get a better adapter or modify the current one. The lens isn't the issue.

And you don't get a wobbly lens when you grind a part of the adapter base, if you do: you're doing it wrong.

These are two konica adapters left fotga right prost.
Remove the screws of the chrome part/ konica AR mount. and sand of the underside of this part (so not the part facing the lens).
Do this on a flat surface with a big piece of sanding paper. Done.

It's easier to get a better adapter like the prost for 11usd on goofbay.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My hexanon 35mm had the same problem, but on Konica bodies. The rear lens had begun to screw it self out. Easy to fix.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blotafton wrote:
My hexanon 35mm had the same problem, but on Konica bodies. The rear lens had begun to screw it self out. Easy to fix.

It your case it was the lens itself, but most cases you have a adapter problem. And with the rear element out of place you get more issues then just no infinity Smile

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogtag wrote:
blotafton wrote:

It your case it was the lens itself, but most cases you have a adapter problem. And with the rear element out of place you get more issues then just no infinity Smile

Yeah adapter problems are very common it seems. With my lens the only issue I noticed was not reaching infinity. Thought it was worth mentioning because I was really confused at first. That was the new version with checkered grip.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So , I check the rear lens with some hope. Unfortunately it is OK ( sounds strange !).
I will try now to reduce the depth of the AR mount of the adapter. I am thinking about reducing it by 1mm.
I should find a handworker to get a nice clean work.
Thank you everybody for your help.