Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What's the scoop with manual focus? (Olympus newbie here)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:03 pm    Post subject: What's the scoop with manual focus? (Olympus newbie here) Reply with quote

So I was shopping for a lens for my E-510 and everything is out of my price range right now so I start to investigate my options. I have read several articles about using these older lenses with great results but I want to know some specifics before I dive in.

Like I mentioned I have an Olympus E-510.
1) If I use a manual focus lens on my camera will I still have full use of the aperature settings, manually set by the man behind the camera of course?
2) Other than the adapter required for each mount type is there any catch to this?
3) Is there a list somewhere which has all of the different mounts that can be used with my camera?
4) Can I still use the camera to meter my subjects and then manually set the lens? (confused with this one)
Thanks in advance, now back to reading these interesting posts...

Last edited by simonduz on Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:24 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome and enjoy your stay!

I'm sure some Oly-experts will answer your questions soon.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a little something you may want to check out.

http://oly43club.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=311

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiralcity wrote:
Here's a little something you may want to check out.
http://oly43club.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=311

Thanks for the welcomes. I think I am really gonna like it here. I used to shoot with nothing but old fashion Minolta (before the Maxxum days) so this should be quite fun. Best of the new and best of the old.

spiralcity - You just provided a jaw dropping moment for me. Uhm.. Shocked WOW! Why only in Russia, is there a patent on this thing?
So, any lens where the aperature ring is in reach while mounted should work? Right?

Keep the feedback coming please! I am gonna shop for some MF lenses now.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome!

I am Oly user too.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to manual lenses.

The deal with m42's ? well its quite the same that the B52's : not much talked about but amazing stuff ( i had to do that comparison !! don't ask why ) Wink

the deal with those lenses is that they're very good compare to today plastic and expensive ones , the m42's range is .. amazing, for all costs, all uses, all cameras ! buy some and you'll see by yourself.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi simonduz !

greeting from fellow olympus e-510 user here !

1) If I use a manual focus lens on my camera will I still have full use of the aperature settings, manually set by the man behind the camera of course?

Yes you do ! You need it when you're using fast lens like f1.8, f1.4, f1.2 during bright sunny day, or getting sharper using russian or east german lenses or even just to create the mood for your images.

2) Other than the adapter required for each mount type is there any catch to this?

Yes ! Like me, I vow to make all the exotic , russian or other mount lenses worked on my e-510. i modified the mount, create adaptors etc Is the fun in DIY and using it ! You can read my journal for some ideas.

3) Is there a list somewhere which has all of the different mounts that can be used with my camera?

I think there should be a list somewhere. But I think, according to my experience, most mounts lenses works well with e-510 with an adaptor except for rangefinder lenses.

4) Can I still use the camera to meter my subjects and then manually set the lens? (confused with this one)

Yes you can ! Beside that you got IS for your lenses too ! Isn't that one stone kills two birds ? Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume that nthere are 4/3 to M42 adapters and there are definately OM to 4/3 adapters,I use M42 lenses on my Canon and the big advantage is speed,I have a 28mm f2.8 a 50mm f1.8 a 135mm f 2.8 a 200mm f3.3 andd and a 300mm f5.6 all of which cost in total less than £70.In EOS fit we would be talking several hundred pounds