Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sometimes weird things happen...
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:06 pm    Post subject: Sometimes weird things happen... Reply with quote

I just have bought two cameras...

This black EXA 1c (w/ a Tessar 2.8/50)

for the "exorbitant" price of € 7,70. Wink

And this Reflecta TLR (w/ E. Ludwig Meritar 1:3.5/7.5cm)

for € 15,50.

I still can't believe that I got these beauties for such a low price.

Both cams are fully working, due to the seller. Now, I am curious if he is right. Looking forward to getting the cams...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Exa 1c is M42 mount if I'm not mistaken.

There's also a fair bit of plastic to it too IIRC.

Both nice cams though. Cool

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob955i wrote:
I think the Exa 1c is M42 mount if I'm not mistaken.

Really? That would be even better.
I've got an EXA I with Exa-mount, so an M42-EXA would be a nice thing.

I just googled. You're right! Great! Another nice cam for all my M42 lenses, and one with this special viewfinder, what do you call it again?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the "bargains of the year"!

The Exa is absolutely stunning! What a beautiful camera - style, shape, ergonomics - splendid. It could almost be a piece of jewelry.

The Reflekta is going to be good - I can just "feel" that it will be a surprise for you!

Again, the Exa - WOW! There are several members of my camera club who have Exa cameras, but they are chrome. The images they took, coming out of the Zeiss 50/2.8 were exceedingly sharp. One of the members enlarged to a 16x20 and the image is dynamite! It was of a flower close-up with the lens either wide open, or close to being wide open. So, with that parameter, the lens came through with a beauty of an image. I'm no expert, but I know what my eyes see. And the images from their 50/2.8 lenses were incredible. It was hard to believe such a small lens could make such a BIG image! Shocked

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carsten wrote: Another nice cam for all my M42 lenses, and one with this special viewfinder, what do you call it again?

It's a "waist level finder" Carsten. A nice way of shooting images. A friend uses his all the time. When he has it on a tripod, he uses a magnifying glass for composing! Works VERY well. Not so good in bright sunlight, but very nice in shade conditions.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats Carsten! the Exa look funny and a Jena for gift!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations Carsten, you are a master in finding bargains. Very Happy

What's your secret? Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True bargains! congratulations!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:
Carsten wrote: Another nice cam for all my M42 lenses, and one with this special viewfinder, what do you call it again?

It's a "waist level finder" Carsten.

Thank you. Very Happy

Laurence wrote:
A nice way of shooting images.

Yes, indeed! I've got an EXA I with such a waist level finder and also like it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juanma wrote:
Congratulations Carsten, you are a master in finding bargains. Very Happy

What's your secret? Very Happy

I don't know. This time I had set a bid and the forgot all about it, because I did not expect to get the cams for my bid - until I got the message that I have won the auction.
I guess, it also has to do with the time when an auction ends...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cams have arrived!

The EXA 1c is in very nice condition. Only some minor signs of use. Mechanics seem to work perfectly.
The Tessar lens ("T 2.8/50") is clean but it only stops down to f5.6, the seller mentioned that btw.

The Reflekta is on OK condition, the mechanics seem to work and the lens (Meritar 3.5/75) is clean and without fungus or marks.
But the mirror has to be replaced, since it is almost blind (still usable in bright daylight, though and I guess it will not be a problem to replace it) and joint of the little magnifying glass is broken (but the seller said that.) So, all in all, a OK deal. I mean, a working TLR for € 15,50!

BTW there was an old ISO 80 film roll in this TLR. I wonder if I should have this roll developed...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
The Tessar lens ("T 2.8/50") is clean but it only stops down to f5.6

Congrats for the cameras Carsten. I had a Domiplan that would stick at f5.6, but if I set it at f16 and tapped it gently on the desk, it would snap shut and work fine until I'd finished with it. Maybe the Tessar needs a proper clean, but just freeing it up and using it might do the trick.

I wouldn't bother processing the old film. It's like looking through somone else's keyhole, and 100/1 it will mean nothing to you and cost you money you could otherwise put towards your Leica Smile

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Peter!

I have managed to clean the Tessar lens. Now the aperture works fine again.
(It is quite easy to get through to the blades of this lens...)