Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

How to make a tripod mount for a long lens?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:22 pm    Post subject: How to make a tripod mount for a long lens? Reply with quote

I have 2 very long, heavy lenses, both Tamron.

My problem in one of vibration due to wind as the tripod still only mounts under the camera body!

Can anyone point me to a 'master-class' or good home-made, but permanent, lens mount that I can make/adapt for use on these lenses?

If I can just bring the balance point closer to the middle I know I can remove most, if not all of the vibrations from wind as such elements as are causing it.

Sometimes I can use my sandbag, but many times it is not possible or convenient!

Thanks if anyone can help me with this very damning problem. Embarassed

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SRB Griturn make custom lens tripod mounts -

http://www.srb-griturn.com/tripod-lens-mounts-758-p.asp

I've had quite a few things from SRB and they are very good, very quick and excellent quality. A guy I know has very precise lens parts made by them and he has no problems with their stuff, they have their own machine shop here in the UK.

There is also a forked support thing that fits on a tripod screw, the camera then goes on top, the device has an arm pointing forward with a Y shaped support that can adjust in height to fit against the lens and also adjust along the length so it can be located and not interfere with the focusing ring. I've seen them, but have no idea who makes them. I need one for a few lenses I have without a support ring.

http://www.pentaconsix.com/manfrot.htm

I just found this, made by Manfrotto and it looks OK.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:08 am    Post subject: Thank you... Reply with quote

Very good information, thank you very much indeed!

Cool