Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon EOS 10QD
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:05 pm    Post subject: Canon EOS 10QD Reply with quote

I bought one of these cheap because it has a sprocket-less drive system and should be able to use unperforated film. I have a lto of unperf microfilm I want to use. Well, this sprocketless drive system is crap, it won't load the roll of Agfa Copex I prepared. It won't load the roll of perforated Tech Pan I tried either, it won't load the Ilford FP4 type 512 cine film either, but it will load normal Ilford FP4+.

The Copex is on a slightly thicker, more rigid estar base, the Tech Pan is on a thinner estar base and the FP4/512 is on a thicker acetate base.

So, seems this Canon sprocketless system only works with 'normal' thickness films.

Damn you Canon.

Sad

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

erm oh well... but think of the positive side in that you can use all those lovely canon lenses Wink

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't own any Canon lenses. Smile

I was planning to use my Nikkor-N 2.8/24 on it.

On well, I'll have to find another camera that can use unperf 35mm. The Ricoh XR-X supposedly does.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I don't own any Canon lenses. Smile

I was planning to use my Nikkor-N 2.8/24 on it.

On well, I'll have to find another camera that can use unperf 35mm. The Ricoh XR-X supposedly does.

You've lost me with all your combinations of film and developers.... Confused digital is so simple in comparison Wink

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I only use one developer, Microdol-X. I still have several bottles of Fomadon LQN and LQR, those I will use up sometime.

The microfilm I have is Agfa Copex HDP13. HDP stands for High Definition Panchromatic. It's not the same as the Copex Rollei sell, that is Copex Rapid.

HDP13 is slow, but has extremely high resolution and no visible grain. Needs special development to get a full tonal range though.

This is why I want to use it, first one is Technical Pan, Second one is FP4, same lens, same development, same scanning, 100% crops. Tech Pan is a lot sharper and less grainy, Copex surpasses even the Tech Pan in those regards.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well so much for using my Nikkor 24mm on the EOS, I tried it and first shot, the camera froze with a 'bc' icon flashing. I removed the lens and the mirror was hung up. I turned the camera off and on again and all is fine. Seems the mirror touches the back of the lens. Damn you again Canon. I'll have to dig out a EOS-M42 adapter and try another lens.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I think I might be able to get the EOS 10qd to load unperf film, I found this snippett of info from nano_burger who was the one who pointed out the EOS10 was suitable for unperf film:

Quote:
A recent discovery, the EOS 10qd or the EOS 10s will take the unperforated film just fine. However, you must punch one hole in the leader to get the takeup spool to grab the film. The camera does not use the sprocket holes to position the film and has no toothed sprockets to engage the film. The plus is that the camera body is a robust and extravagantly featured camera (it was the prosumer camera of that era). The best part is that the body will take my inventory of EF lenses.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Oh, I only use one developer, Microdol-X. I still have several bottles of Fomadon LQN and LQR, those I will use up sometime.

The microfilm I have is Agfa Copex HDP13. HDP stands for High Definition Panchromatic. It's not the same as the Copex Rollei sell, that is Copex Rapid.

HDP13 is slow, but has extremely high resolution and no visible grain. Needs special development to get a full tonal range though.

This is why I want to use it, first one is Technical Pan, Second one is FP4, same lens, same development, same scanning, 100% crops. Tech Pan is a lot sharper and less grainy, Copex surpasses even the Tech Pan in those regards.

Seems like the stuff for you to experiment with......set tri-x at 51,200 asa

http://www.ag-photographic.co.uk/spursinn-hcd-2s-100ml-3441-p.asp

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got an email from ag advertising that. Smile

Not my thing, my technique is to rate at half box speed for greater tonal range, pushing has the opposite effect - compression of tonal range.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I did the cut one sprocket hole trick and the microfilm loaded first time. Smile

Then I pried my Micro-Nikkor on the EOS 10, it fits and misses the mirror. However, in classic Canon tradition, the focus screen in the damn thing is useless for focusing, it's got no focus aid and isn't matte at all so it's guesstimate the distance and that's not good enough for me when ultimate sharpness is a large part of using microfilm.

Damn you a third time Canon!

Obviously they didn't want users using MF lenses on their cameras, they made the mount completely incompatible with their manual system and put a useless screen in the EOS. Great. Sad

So, what are my options for putting a new screen in this thing? I know there is the EF-M that has a nice screen in it and people were buying those up cheap to put the screen in a FF digi EOS.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Balls, looks like I'm stuck with the useless non-matte screen in this thing:

Quote:
A new type of viewfinder display is also designed to supplement responsiveness. A significant improvement was the sensor which reactive to red. According to Canon, this was done by means of engraving the outlines of the autofocus sensor positions into the acrylic focusing screen, and making use the natural light to make the selected sensor frame flash with red light. The photographer, will benefit greatly in relation to precise AF control from the highlighted focus mark in relation to selected sensor indication. However, one slight drawback of this design is, it requires a special extra-bright focusing screen to work and the camera does not offered an interchangeable focusing screen feature as in the case of the previous serious EOS models.

Hmm, looks like I'm going to have to put a rangefinder on the flash shoe and use that to find the distance to the subject then set it on the lens.

Or, buy an AF lens for it. Don't really want to do that, most AF zooms are crap and I hate using them.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I got it to work, and it's a quite nice camera to use, apart from the damn non-matte focus screen.