Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Fungus prevention
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:59 pm    Post subject: Fungus prevention Reply with quote

Realized that my lenses been in bags for ages and humidity, temperature have been this and that. So took them away and put them in old fish tank.

Do you think that this amount of light is enough to do some good to prevent fungus? There are 2 about 1 meter aquarium tubes (some uv) and one slightly more yellowish 80 cm tube.

How long should them stay there: week? month? Because there is always dust too.

There is no fungus yet but I plan just to avoid it,

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get some black lights; UV will be much better for preventing fungus.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Provided humidity is low and warmth not too high should be OK. I just leave my stuff on an open shelf not in the bags or cases. I'd be wary of getting them too warm as you might dry the lubricants out and have a different problem instead!

K.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also recommend installing a 5 EUR air humidity meter... Too dry air dries lube faster, optimum air humidity for lenses likely is 40-50% - fungus thrives in much higher air humidity >80-90%

Climate in Finland is easy when it comes to storing lenses indoors. During winter heating takes care of humidity indoors and we don't have to endure long periods of high humidity (despite record rains in recent month). I've seen huge collections in Finland and the only "Finland-fungused" lenses I've heard of have been stored in cellars, coffins or other spaces where air doesn't change.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esox lucius wrote:
I would also recommend installing a 5 EUR air humidity meter... Too dry air dries lube faster, optimum air humidity for lenses likely is 40-50% - fungus thrives in much higher air humidity >80-90%

Climate in Finland is easy when it comes to storing lenses indoors. During winter heating takes care of humidity indoors and we don't have to endure long periods of high humidity (despite record rains in recent month). I've seen huge collections in Finland and the only "Finland-fungused" lenses I've heard of have been stored in cellars, coffins or other spaces where air doesn't change.

+1 except I take dangerous zone to lower from 60%

http://forum.mflenses.com/storing-lenses-t812.html