Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Askania Rangefinder - adjusting
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:30 pm    Post subject: Askania Rangefinder - adjusting Reply with quote

Since a couple of week I purchased an Askania Rangefinder.

Soon I found out that the calibration was off because the messured distances where wrong. But unlike other rangefinders the Askania has no adjustmentscrew at the outside. So I opened the rangefinder to look for an adjustmentscrew on the inside, but apart from a screw to aline the vertical adjustment there was nothing else to be found.

When I looked through the finder of the dismanteld rangefinder to a subject at infinity and slightly pushed the brass mirrorholder (which is moved by the adjustmentwheel) I realized that the calibration was perfect at that moment. I decided to put a thin piece of paper between the brass mirrorholder and the "blind screw" of the adjustmentwheel. The result was perfect! Very Happy
After that I could just press the two halves of the rangefinder back together again.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a very similar Medis rangefinder and that is calibrated by a smll adjusting knob in the center of the main dial. I measure a distance, set the main dial to that, and then the tiny knob adjusts the rangefinder patch. The center knob is tight so it doesn't easily go out of adjustment.
Your picture looks as though there might be a similar arrangement on your Askania ?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are typical instructions; however it is possible the Askania doesn't fit the mold. And at any rate sounds like you found a solution!

Photopia Rangefinder instructions by Nesster, on Flickr

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is that the round little "chrome" cover in the centre of the adjustmentwheel (which is probably hiding the adjustmentscrew) seems impossible to remove.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the center knob should turn - independently of the large adjuster - rather than be removed. I've just looked at a Watameter rangefinder and that is exactly the same.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
I think the center knob should turn - independently of the large adjuster - rather than be removed. I've just looked at a Watameter rangefinder and that is exactly the same.

Sorry, it is impossible to turn nor seems it possible to remove.