Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sky stacking, macro stacking?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:39 am    Post subject: Sky stacking, macro stacking? Reply with quote

I've read these terms on this forum and would like to understand what they are.

I think macro stacking could be blending different images with different points of focus am I correct?

So what's sky stacking and indeed what other things can be stacked

Heres a photo of an orchid, I focused on 5 points and blended the photos in PS's blend layer mode. Stacking?

edit: I took 5 separate photos

Softened in PS too, the image was shot specifically for my wife to her spec

Last edited by philslizzy on Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:24 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:12 am    Post subject: Re: Sky stacking, macro stacking? Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:

I think macro stacking could be blending different images with different points of focus am I correct?

No different images.
Same image, different points of focus. How many? From 2 to hundreds. Depends on the object size.
Then, you can use the stacking software of your choice: Photoshop, Helicon, Zerene stacker, etc.
What you did is called stitching.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps I missed something in your reply but I thought how you described it was what I did with this picture. I thought stitching was for panoramas.

edit: just edited my first post so you understand I took 5 images first

I'm still not wiser. What is sky stacking and someone mentioned stacking photos of the moon in this topic

http://forum.mflenses.com/tokina-300mm-f-5-6-for-moonshots-t55777.html

Thanks for your quick reply!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stacking is where one takes multiple images of the same subject from the same perspective with different focal planes and then uses a photo editing software to assemble them into one image with everything (or at least more) thing in focus.

Macro stacking is doing that with a macro image.

That can also be done with, say, a tree branch or highway or something with a long depth of field that isn't a macro.

Stitching is composing a larger scene from multiple smaller images, like a mosaic.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding moon and sky stacking, same basic concept. With a telephoto lens, even at f22, the entire moon won't be in sharp focus. So, using that telephoto, focus on the moon and then move through the lens' focal range on the moon (horizon, mid-range, near-surface, etc.). Then stack them in a photo editing software.

To do this, open each image as a layer in a photo editing program. The software analyzes the images and determines what regions are most in focus in each image (compared to the other images.) It then removes everything except the most-in-focus portions of each layer.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You said "different images" that's why my answer.
David explained it better.
I don't agree with the moon part. Even with a 5000/2.8 ( assuming it's possible) DOF is that huge considering the distance that you won't need multiple images to stack them.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lens variations may factor into how the moon focuses. For instance:

400mm, f8 or f11.

To my eye, the edge look to be much more in focus than the middle.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Himself wrote:
You said "different images" that's why my answer...David explained it better...

Yes sorry about that.

Ok you and David have explained it so i now understand the concept. I was right about the macro thing then, and what I've done with the orchid photo is stacking. I haven't used or heard the phrase before, I call it focus depth (my words) by layer blending.

Himself wrote:
...I don't agree with the moon part. Even with a 5000/2.8 ( assuming it's possible) DOF is that huge considering the distance that you won't need multiple images to stack them.

I too am not sure the moon would require focusing in different areas but I'm going to give stacking a go next time I can get a clear, moonlit sky to try it out or myself. The edge of the photo showing the craters looks sharper because of the shadow contrast. The middle of the moon is quite flat and the light is straight on so there are no shadows to speak of. I wonder if different exposures would make a difference?

I googled sky stacking.Interesting, it appears that you take several shortish exposures of the night sky, along with some blank ones and layer blend (stack) them in Photoshop. This removes the noise, dead pixels and improves the colour and contrast of the star images.

Thanks again guys for your answers!
Phil

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure but I think Sky Stacking is using several exposures and merging them for a well exposed subject AND sky. Basically emulating the use of a graduated neutral density filter.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pontus wrote:
I'm not sure but I think Sky Stacking is using several exposures and merging them for a well exposed subject AND sky. Basically emulating the use of a graduated neutral density filter.

Hmmm thats what I would have thought, then I found this, typical of many tutorials on the subject:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Astrophotography-Star-Photo-Stacking/

Edit: What you are suggesting sounds like HDR