Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

A quick and dirty PK to M42 / Nikon conversion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: A quick and dirty PK to M42 / Nikon conversion Reply with quote

Why? So I could try out the 200mm f4 Rikenon right away on my d3100! This conversion should allow you to fit PK bayonet on to most cameras.

This took 15 minutes to do, most of which time was finding my screwdriver and file.

I've used a simple t mount adapter. Not willing to destroy a Nikon t-mount I used an M42 of which I have several.

Basically remove the inner ring and put the lens mount inside and tighten up the grubscrews. Thats it!

Ok the PK mount has that flange thingy which gets in the way a bit. Solution? I marked where the top of the mount was when screwed to a camera, then placed the lens into the mount with the focus index in line with the mark. That showed me precisely where the flange will hit the mount. I marked the area with a pin then filed a mm or so out of the area. Actually I went too far and removed some of the thread. It still screws ok though. Wash the mount to remove any filings!

The PK mount is a snug fit inside a T-mount and the grub screws line up behind the flange. Tighten them up good, they won't go all the way through. That's all there is to it.

I attached a plain m42 to Nikon adapter and it fitted perfectly on my camera.

Of course there's no infinity but I can focus as far as 4.5 metres. With a shorter focal length it would be great for portraits.

I have an MD fitting lens, maybe that will work too!

Photos of the adapter in place and a quick snap to try out the lens.

You can see how much I filed away! The thread ends cleaned up well and it screws in perfectly

A quick photo taken at about 2 metres

Oh I used the built in flash in manual mode about 1/8th power.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The large version looks pretty good to me. I guess it was a well spent 11 pounds.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With T2-Nikon adapter you probably wouldn't need to file anything. You also would be able to focus farther.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dimitrygo wrote:
With T2-Nikon adapter you probably wouldn't need to file anything. You also would be able to focus farther.

I know, but I didn't have a spare one, and I didn't really know how much I'd have to file off. I guess I played it safe risking ruining a £3 adapter rather than a £10 adapter

I did however try it with the lensed adapter and got a couple of more metres about 6-7. I guess I'd get that using a Nikon T-mount.

Oh it won't work with the MD mount lens, the screws don't hook under the flange. I tried some shims of metal (gigar tube cut up) to pad it out but it wasn't having it.

The shims make the PK fit that much tighter. The t-mount can be used again if I put the ring back in so no damaged lenses only a sacrificed cigar tube. and a t-mount with a bit of thread missing!