Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Kinotel 3" F2.5 with broken aperture
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:31 am    Post subject: Kinotel 3" F2.5 with broken aperture Reply with quote

Hi!
I won an auction for a Kinotel 3" F2.5 to use with my Pentax Q. I saw it just before the auction ended so I placed a bid and missed the part about "damaged shutter". It looks like one blade simply has fallen off. Do you think it it will be repairable and would it be hard to do it? Have anyone experience with Kinotels like this one?

I have not yet received it so here are links to his pics:
http://img.tradera.com/mega/527/152154527_1.jpg
http://img.tradera.com/mega/527/152154527_2.jpg

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, no chance for repair I would guess. If you're lucky and it's only bent, a service tech could maybe fix it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm, I wonder if it would would work even without the last blade if I successfully remove it. Any suggestion for what to with it in case that I find it impossible?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paperweight always works well... Wink

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:

Maybe disassemble and and try out some experienting with the lenses? Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VisualDarkness wrote:
kds315* wrote:

You can remove broken blades, and make a very own one from cardboard ring , it is works and if damaged you can make a new one Laughing issue only not easy to change aperture in fly Smile

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
VisualDarkness wrote:
kds315* wrote:

You can remove broken blades, and make a very own one from cardboard ring , it is works and if damaged you can make a new one Laughing issue only not easy to change aperture in fly Smile

Who needs stopping down ey? Cool
I once tried to repair a Smena 8M with the same problem, only to have a small screw flying across the room nver to be found, and I guess this would be way harder!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broken blades usually forced and not in genuine shape any more , this is what makes almost impossible to fix it, stopped down produce always better IQ than wide open , so a small cardboard ring what is stop lens surely better than wide open.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Broken blades usually forced and not in genuine shape any more , this is what makes almost impossible to fix it, stopped down produce always better IQ than wide open , so a small cardboard ring what is stop lens surely better than wide open.

As the aperture shape still looks decent without the broken blade do think, assuming the other blades aren't bent, that the aperture will work without it? I guess that some of the blades could potentially hook on to each other.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VisualDarkness wrote:
As the aperture shape still looks decent without the broken blade do think, assuming the other blades aren't bent, that the aperture will work without it? I guess that some of the blades could potentially hook on to each other.

I have J9 with 2 blades missing and going only to 8 but still use it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for all the great support, as usual!
We'll see what happens with the lens when I receive it. If anyone got experience of this och simply some feedback I would very happy to hear from you. It sounds impossible enough and was cheap enough that I'm not afraid of screwing things up (realized the pun)!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually managed to repair the aperture by simply ripping out the broken blade. The procedure is really easy, even though I ripped half the lens apart before realizing it. You only have to take away the ring that holds the elements (two pieces of glass), reach in to grab and rip out the broken blade. The lens facing the aperture had a slight mark from the broken blade but it rubbed off.

A problem though is that I want to clean the next lens under the aperture as it got fungus but I lack the tools for it. Also sadly I broke the metal part for the aperture clicks as I thought it was a spring for the tension in the ring and bent it only to see it brake in half, before realizing what it was for. I can take a pic of it if you want. The aperture still works though but without clicks, for good and bad.