Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

1st scans with V500!!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:38 am    Post subject: 1st scans with V500!! Reply with quote

I have just recieved my Epson V500 scanner and couldn't wait to scan some 35mm negatives!

Taken with my Spotmatic and Pentacon 50 1.8, with Fuji Neopan 400 film.

I was really impressed with how these turned out, so decided to scan some colour negatives I have just developed. They were taken with Fuji Superia 400 and to be honest I was dissapointed....they looked far too grainy and looked awful compared to the prints so will only post some results of those if I can figure out how to get them looking better!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats Hooper!
Don't worry about the grain on scan with Fuji Superia 400
It is also hard for me to believe but grain disappear when printed on paper
This is something magic I can not explain but analog grain is transformed in texture
It's like the big advertisement panel that looks nice from distance but are in fact enormous dots
If you see the same photo on a crt it will be more nice
Lcd screen is awful for film grain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It certainly does a nice job with B&W

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does! I was quite amazed at the difference between b+w and colour scans, but what poilu says does make a lot of sense. Think I might try some Velvia on the next roll of colour, see how a nice film with low iso comes out.

Just on a roll of Kodak BW400CN at the moment. I'm totally new to film, so want to give all the mono films a try, and some Ilford is next on the list!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are scan of my son Isaac with the Superia 400

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too me that doesn't look like a bad scan from a 400 ISO Neg, it's better than I've had from 200 ISO gold on commercial scans.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. I've always had trouble with 400ASA on the old 2450; I'll be interested how the V700 does...I can imagine no better, since it is basically the same as your V500.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a box with 35mm Provia 400 slides. Here are a couple of quick scans - straight out of scanner with no manipulations other than an edge crop; I will be interested to scan 400 color negative film to see if it compares to these slides.

[/img]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hooper
What software are you using? There is an incredible piece for scanners called Vuescan. The author updates it about every 24 hours and has been doing so for several years now. I used to use it on a very old very poor canon scanner (now deceased) and the results could be superbly manipulated/cleaned/improved during the actual scan. Also Kodak used to offer some software specifically designed to remove noise /improve colour etc.

patrickh

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks patrick, for some reason vuescan crashes when i try to install it! for now i'm using the bundled software.