Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

300mm suggestion for wildlife?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:43 am    Post subject: 300mm suggestion for wildlife? Reply with quote

I am wildlife shooter looking for suggestions on lens in the 300mm range, be it prime or zoom. I would prefer something that has an aperture of f5 or less. I had a Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm F3.5, which was very nice to use for wildlife, but that broke. I'm here looking at a longer focal length, that will give me IQ and focusing that would be up to par with the S1. My budget is around $100usd. Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, battleaxe.

Perhaps you might want to tell us what camera you are using so that it will be easier to recommend a lens that can be used on your camera?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If 5.5 is enough there is the Japanese made 70's (?) 300/5.5 in various mounts and various brands that you can easily get around $50-100. I got mine Exaktar brand and like it a lot.

Last edited by kansalliskala on Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:56 am; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:
If 5.5 is enough there is the Japanese made 70's (?) 300/5.5 in various mounts and various brands that you can easily get around $50-100. I got mine Exaktar brand and like it a lot.

I think this is a Sankor lens. I actually prefer the Tokina made preset 300/5.5, which can be found named as Soligor, Hanimex, Prinz Galaxy etc. Either way, all these 300/5.5 lenses are cheap and do the job Smile

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:45 am    Post subject: Tair-3 300/4.5 Reply with quote

Look for the Tair-3 300mm f4.5. One of the best 300mm manual lenses and you can get one easily and cheap.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Tair-3 300/4.5 Reply with quote

dragom wrote:
Look for the Tair-3 300mm f4.5. One of the best 300mm manual lenses and you can get one easily and cheap.

+1
Just don't use fast aperture close-down function (three very strong springs inside lens). If lens was unused for longer time, grease became sticky and blade or two might snap out.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

another vote for the tair-3.
it's cheap, relatively fast, and sharp.
Most of its flaws (lowish contrast and somewhat dull colors, according to some) are easily fixed in PP, and the focusing knob can be extremely comfortable once you get used to it - that can be a useful feature for wildlife.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tair-3 and Tamron 300mm 5.6

Tamron SP 300mm 5.6 Macro Adaptall-2
http://forum.mflenses.com/tamron-sp-300mm-f-5-6-macro-t55048,highlight,%2Btamron+%2B300mm.html

Tamron 300mm 5.6 Adapt-A-Matic - 856gr
http://forum.mflenses.com/tamron-adapt-a-matic-300mm-f5-6-t53839,highlight,%2Btamron+%2B300mm.html

I borrowed once from a friend (he sold it shortly after while switched to Nikon gear) an Pentax F☆ 300mm 4.5 and this lens is amazing, but sadly I could not afford it... It's around 1000$ Crying or Very sad

Last edited by RAART on Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a suggestion that might surprise people, how about the Chinon 300 / 5.6 ?
I've got a Tair 300 / 4.5 and a Soligor 300 / 5.5 and I rate the Chinon highly. Its biggest problem is fringing, but that can be fixed in processing, I don't think it's any worse than many old lenses with early technology coatings. ( edit - it's not as bad as I remembered ! )
I really can't say which of these three 300 lenses is the sharpest as I haven't tried them back to back in a shootout - but the Chinon has never disappointed me and made me wish I'd used the Tair or the Soligor.

And its good point is, the weight. It's way lighter than the other two because it's a more modern plastic lens, but it still feels a solid and well made lens. It's only 650 g with caps and a filter, easy to hand hold.
The styling is distinctive with it's tapering focus sleeve, some might think it looks old strange, I actually like it.
Tair 1536 g
Soligor 900g
Chinon 650 g

Here's some hand held pictures from the Chinon, just resized and auto colour correction, there's no fringing taken off the pigeon picture at all. The Headstone is hot wide open, the factory possibly f8 or 16 ? both ISO 400, the pigeon is ISO 1600.

I really had forgotten how good this lens was until I looked for some pictures to add to this post, I shall use it more often. Cool

Last edited by Lloydy on Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For 100 USD look Tair-3 or abused Nikkor 300mm a few big scratch , litte fungus is fine.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll add another vote for the Tair 3.

As an alternative, if you can manage the Bulk, maybe a Pentacon 300/4? It is a beast of a lens to handle but produces some nice shots.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be using this via adapter on a m4/3 camera(Panasonic G2 to be exact). I really would prefer it to be under F5 for those day where it is a bit overcast or a bit shady. But, thank you for the replies. Will take a look and see what I can find in the Tair 3. Any suggestions in the zoom range category?

I was looking at the Tamron SP 300mm, but they seem hard to come by. As a side note I tested out a Tamron 70-210mm F4, but I didn't like the contrast or how it focused, specially vs the Series 1 I had. Would the SP 300mm, or Tair be similar(at least focusing wise)? Thanks.

Edit: Just did a eBay search and the Tair 300mm seems to be out of my budget at around $150+ :-\

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next one will come, Tair is common. Tamron SP 300 is rare and surely out of your budget.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the Tair seems to be out of my budget too as the cheapest I found on ebay was $145.

Out of curiosity, any suggestion on maybe a zoom in the 300mm range at F4.5 or so?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

battleaxe wrote:
Well the Tair seems to be out of my budget too as the cheapest I found on ebay was $145.

Out of curiosity, any suggestion on maybe a zoom in the 300mm range at F4.5 or so?

Tamron SP 60-300mm is pretty good, look also Pentacon 300mm , Meyer 300mm they are F4 lenses may you get one cheap.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An older Tokina AT-X 100-300mm F4.

I'm not sure it would fit into your budget though.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tamron CT 5.6/300 can be found at nice prices. Less legendary than the Tamrons mentioned above but a nice compact 300mm that gives good images.

Tair 3PhS(in this case with a small extension ring). Freaking sharp but less compact than the Tamron CT

Meyer Orestegor 4/300. A ton of glass and heavy metal, but all about quality.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
battleaxe wrote:

Tamron SP 60-300mm is pretty good, look also Pentacon 300mm , Meyer 300mm they are F4 lenses may you get one cheap.

How is the quality of the Meyer? As for the tamron I take it would be easy to focus with, or would it be like the 70-210mm non SP lens I tried out? Thanks

Edit the Meyer looks pretty good IQ wise(just saw the pics posted on the second page), but that also seem to be a hard to locate lens. The Tamron SP is within my budget, but the f5.4 at the long end is a bit of a turn off, and to me at least the focusing(as aforementioned) is a bit questionable. But, I do like the shots I have seen from that camera. I could not find anything on the Tamron CT on ebay or KEH, and the Pentacon 300mm is also out of my budget range. :-\

Would I be better off getting a 200mm f3.5 lens and just adding a TC to it as that seems to be a bit more common focal range within my budget, or would the TC degrade the quality a bit to much?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pictures I love them!

NO TC to me, most of them degrade IQ for sure.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like so far most of the suggestions here are either hard to find or out of budget(unless I could locate one in not the best shape). Any other suggestions?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO Tair-3 Photosnaiper is a no-brainer for your purpose as it's usable handheld, great glass, not very expensive.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermy wrote:
IMHO Tair-3 Photosnaiper is a no-brainer for your purpose as it's usable handheld, great glass, not very expensive.

+1

And, with a bit of patience, you will be able to find one for less than you think.
Really, no better options for f4.5 on a budget, IMHO

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

battleaxe wrote:
It looks like so far most of the suggestions here are either hard to find or out of budget(unless I could locate one in not the best shape). Any other suggestions?

5.5 too slow for you?

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=300+5.5+lens&_sop=15&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313&_nkw=300+5.5+lens+m42&_sacat=0

BTW if you plan reading this forum later on you'll find it common practice here that people suggest lenses that "I got for $100" (but that was 4 years ago Smile )

Last edited by kansalliskala on Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:04 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

battleaxe wrote:

How is the quality of the Meyer?

Edit the Meyer looks pretty good IQ wise(just saw the pics posted on the second page), but that also seem to be a hard to locate lens.

The Meyer and Pentacon 300/4 are pretty much the same. If You can, try it before You buy it, the weight does not suit some people, and others are fine with it.

The following as shot on a Pentacon version, handheld, with a screaming 3 yr old beside me. The limit with this lens is Your ability to hold it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 Tair-3 - PHs PHOTOSNIPER version will be less expensive.

Hoya 100-300mm zoom anyone?