Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Auto Chinon 300mm 1:4,5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:43 pm    Post subject: Auto Chinon 300mm 1:4,5 Reply with quote

I recently purchased an Auto Chinon 300mm 1:4.5 serial 101028 for 45 USD
Filter = 67mm , rear = M42 + mechanical switch "auto-manuel"
8 aperture blades
I have a few photos taken with my Canon 550d

Tree at f4,5 1/25 sec ISO 200

Tree at f8 1/8 sec ISO 200

Tree at f22 1 sec ISO 200

Birdcage at f4,5 1/12 sec ISO 800 new foto

Birdcage at f8 1/4 sec ISO 800 new foto

Birdcage at f22 2 sec ISO 800 new foto

Some pictures of te lens

Last edited by pe1ihu on Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:39 am; edited 5 times in total

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto Chinon 300mm 1:4,5 Reply with quote

pe1ihu wrote:
I recently purchased an Auto Chinon 300mm 1:4,5 for 45 USD
I have a few photos taken with my Canon 550d

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How have you found it? I had a Sankor 300/4.5 but it gave horrible purple fringing. Looks like your Chinon copes much better.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fix color, contrast with a few clicks and looks she will be a good lens , congrats!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found it on "Marktplaats" the Dutch ebay

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first set of photos look ok, but the second set of the bird-box look, to be frank, terrible. Sad
Hopefully it's just mis-focus but I'm not sure.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SonicScot wrote:
The first set of photos look ok, but the second set of the bird-box look, to be frank, terrible. Sad

Yes, the birdhouse looks out of focus until the F22 shot.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we see a picture of the lens? I'd like to compare it to my Chinon 300 / 5.6

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I added some lens details and pictures in my first post

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks soft & CA issues wide open, but not bad at F8.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SonicScot wrote:

I made some new Pictures focusing on tree trunk (previous bird hole)
There is a strange white mist in the lower part of the picture at f4.5

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pe1ihu wrote:
SonicScot wrote:

Reading the details I see you have some very slow shutter speeds, this indicates you are using a tripod (or similar) to get the shots. Assuming that to be the case, why are some of the shots at ISO 800? Surely using a tripod gives you the opportunity to use the lowest ISO possible (for cleaner photos).
With the new photos you added, the lens should be optimal around f8 (probably) but it's still not looking great, to be honest. Not the worst I've seen but if it were me, I'd be looking for a better lens in this focal length. Smile
As for the 'white mist' it looks like a lack of contrast, not uncommon from a cheaper lens wide open. Could also be you were shooting more towards the sun than away from it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it is not horrible but I think one old Tair 3s will kick it's ass. It doesn't look sharp or CA free... Still nice for the money!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SonicScot wrote:
pe1ihu wrote:
SonicScot wrote:

Reading the details I see you have some very slow shutter speeds, this indicates you are using a tripod (or similar) to get the shots. Assuming that to be the case, why are some of the shots at ISO 800? Surely using a tripod gives you the opportunity to use the lowest ISO possible (for cleaner photos).
With the new photos you added, the lens should be optimal around f8 (probably) but it's still not looking great, to be honest. Not the worst I've seen but if it were me, I'd be looking for a better lens in this focal length. Smile
As for the 'white mist' it looks like a lack of contrast, not uncommon from a cheaper lens wide open. Could also be you were shooting more towards the sun than away from it.

I'm also not satisfied with the lens
Due to bad weather I have taken the pictures from a tripot with high iso values ​​from under the porch
I had expected better images, better than my Canon EF-S 70-300 kit lens
maybe I should look for a tair

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Tair-3 would be an excellent choice, I have one and it's a really fantastic lens. Very Happy
If you're patient you might find one for as little as £30-£40 in great condition Wink

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is silver and labelled Universar, but the design seems to be the same
Can you pull out a lens hood?

Stopped down to f8 or f10 it's good for what I call "iso 250". (on old Sony 10Mpix ccd aps-c sensor)

It gives purple-green-bokeh and a "seeping low contrast" look so I suspected Sun lens (Dimension/Universar/Chinon... there were some big threads about those including 135 and 200/3.5) even without seeing the design.