Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

My oldest lens adapted to A7RIV. Poco Sym
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 9:52 pm    Post subject: My oldest lens adapted to A7RIV. Poco Sym Reply with quote

This lens came to me in a fully functional brass shutter...OK mostly functional. The T setting doesn't work properly. It says Poco R C Co. Sym 5x7 on one mounted chrome plate. Another says Pat. May 22 -94. It is missing one of the brass machine screws that holds the 2 halves of the case together. I removed the remaining to try and obtain a replacement. It appears to be a 1/2 inch #3 with countersunk slotted head and 56 thread pitch. Then, since it was open, I cleaned the inside with alcohol after making sure the aperture blades were metal and blasted it dry with a hair dryer on low. I checked to see if by chance I had a jam nut that would fit...no luck. Looking through my junk drawers I came across an EF body cap with a hole just a smidgen too tight. A bit of scraping and I was able to crea5 threads in the plastic using repeate on ...back and forth, back and forth, repeat, scrape on...back and forth etc until it was snug against the shoulder. Then onto EF extension tubes and bellows. Finding infinity I measured. Ostensible FL seems 7 and a half inches. The diaphragm is marked 8 to 32, which is undoubtedly old US aperture scale.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pocos were folders and view cameras made by Rochester Camera Company around the turn of the 20th century. AFAIK, they all used Baush and Lomb lenses, Achros or Rapid Rectilinears. The RR is a symmetrical design, which might be the source of the "sym" on the nameplate.

Based on the patent date, it appears to be a Turner shutter.

Here's a link to the patent:
https://image-ppubs.uspto.gov/dirsearch-public/print/downloadPdf/0520198

Some info about Rochester Camera Co:
http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Rochester_Camera_and_Supply_Co.

EDIT:
A little poking around indicates some of the larger Pocos used Gundlachs as well, so also possibly one of those. The Turner patent is assigned to the Gundlach company, so it would make sense...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

honestly, i think the lens is just beautiful, no matter the pic that would take

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Wow that is just an awesome-looking rig you've got there jamaeolus!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice steampunk style lens and great setup Like 1 small

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks so cool, I would love to see some pictures taken with this setup

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will make it happen today. I did manage to find a brass machine bolt that was 5/8s long #3 with the 56 pitch and countesunk head. I managed to cut it back the 1/8" (otherwise would have stuck out the back of the case). The glass is very clear in the center but the objective has a ring, maybe a sixteenth inch wide on the outside edge, of balsam crazing. It won't effect my images as I am only using a tiny tiny portion of the 5x7 inch image circle.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note these are not my usual straight from the camera with contrast boost. These have been tweaked on several parameters. First 2 files worked fine after scaling down. After that again with the 410 error. Frustrating. I am quite surprised how good the color rendition is since this lens predates any color film by a couple decades.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
Note these are not my usual straight from the camera with contrast boost. These have been tweaked on several parameters. First 2 files worked fine after scaling down. After that again with the 410 error. Frustrating. I am quite surprised how good the color rendition is since this lens predates any color film by a couple decades.

410 errors using "Upload Picture" or "Drag and Drop upload"? The other way may work better. Smile

Any tweaking to White Balance? Like the reds & greens. Someone will know the lens formula by that split-image bokeh characteristic.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the find file function via upload picture. The color profiles are only very slightly tweaked. The outside photos were taken on a very gray dim day which aggravates the tendency of uncoated lenses to have washed out appearance. I was trying to match the look I saw with my eyes.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
I used the find file function via upload picture. The color profiles are only very slightly tweaked. The outside photos were taken on a very gray dim day which aggravates the tendency of uncoated lenses to have washed out appearance. I was trying to match the look I saw with my eyes.

410 after clicking the Browse button to find the file, or after selecting the file, or after clicking the Send button?

Been grey & windy & very rainy here past few days too. The colors look real to me! Smile

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
jamaeolus wrote:

410 after clicking the Browse button to find the file, or after selecting the file, or after clicking the Send button?

Been grey & windy & very rainy here past few days too. The colors look real to me! Smile

The upload function is not very stable these days. I got 410 error randomly. Sometime a file failed to upload but the other files are fine.

The two samples looks not bad even it is tweaked.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a 410 just now trying to upload 7968 × 5320 9MB jpg...the upload window "connection" to the browser window that spawned it is closing probably due to a too-short timeout, Without the connection the download window cannot cannot write the url to the uploaded image into the message -- to the upload window it appears the message window has disappeared, thus 410 error.

If an image upload takes too long to upload due to slow/faulty internet connection giving a 410 error, try again. I recommend using the Drag and Drop upload because of the progress bar. Uploading multiple images is easy drag & drop of files rather than Browsing Selecting waiting each file.