Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Jupiter-9 Value and Identification
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:23 pm    Post subject: Jupiter-9 Value and Identification Reply with quote

I stumbled across a silver finish Jupiter-9 at a local camera shop today, it felt a little uneven in aperture and focus but optics looked fine as well as the exterior. They wanted 345 SEK for it, that would translate to about $50. I'll get a guarantee it would work fine and so, it's however an M39-version.

I read something about there being 2 versions, one SLR and one rangefinder. This J9 was short and stubby, not that long like some I've seen. So is it worth $50, can I use it with an M39-M42 adapter thread and reach infinity, or close to atleast? Would be nice for portrait use I figured. Even if the focus was a bit uneven in the resistance. I know they go for quite a bit on ebay, but that's ebay and they're often described to be in better condition than this one.

Please advice once again.

Best regards,
Daniel

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are 2 versions of silver jupiter 9 in m39, short and bulky is slr version, for that one you need m42 adapter and m39-m42 adapter ring. longer version is rangefinder version for that one you need thin m39 adapter.

for 50$ take it , you won't regret it. wide open is a bit soft, but that's perfect for portraits. stop it a little it becomes sharp

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, I'll try to bargain a bit for it. But otherwise $50 it is.
It's hard to know value of things like theese since they're not too common and people often want more than they're worth.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I got mines for $50, I paid $199 for it. Once I saw the s/n 5400110 I wanted it. It's now the oldest lens I own, I just waiting for an adapter so I can use it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WolverineX wrote:
there are 2 versions of silver jupiter 9 in m39, short and bulky is slr version, for that one you need m42 adapter and m39-m42 adapter ring. longer version is rangefinder version for that one you need thin m39 adapter.

So the rangefinder version will not mount with two adapters, i.e. M39-M42 and M42/camera mount?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lena wrote:
WolverineX wrote:

So the rangefinder version will not mount with two adapters, i.e. M39-M42 and M42/camera mount?

You can mount due same screw, but register distance is short no clear pictures after 1m distance, buy a second hand mirror less body and no more issue with any lenses.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lena wrote:
WolverineX wrote:

no, because rangefinder register distance is shorter than m42 register distance. if you mount it on m42 adapter you won't get infinity.

optically they are both the same, rangefinder version is longer than slr version for the difference between rangefinder and m42 register distance. you can see the same difference with industar 50 lens, slr version is thinner ( a pancake lens), rangefinder version is thicker(or i should say longer).

m42 register distance is 45.46mm
m39 rangefinder register distance is 28.8mm
m39 slr register distance is same as m42

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WolverineX wrote:

Zenit/KMZ quote the M39 register as 45.2 mm & the M42 register as 45.5 mm - although one can find examples of "crossover" lenses - M39/45.5 & M42/45.2.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sichko wrote:
WolverineX wrote:

Zenit/KMZ quote the M39 register as 45.2 mm & the M42 register as 45.5 mm - although one can find examples of "crossover" lenses - M39/45.5 & M42/45.2.

i got the numbers from this page:
http://www.graphics.cornell.edu/~westin/misc/mounts-by-register.html
so they might or might not be correct

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WolverineX wrote:
sichko wrote:
WolverineX wrote:

i got the numbers from this page:
http://www.graphics.cornell.edu/~westin/misc/mounts-by-register.html
so they might or might not be correct

Yes - I'm familiar with that page. It's quoted widely. The Zenit archive used to be a great source with copies of camera manuals and original KMZ engineering drawings. Unfortunately it's closed now. However you can still find other sources which reproduce Zenit manuals.
So who do you believe ? An unknown internet source ? Or the manufacturers ?

The 0.3 mm difference can be significant. So, for example, An M39 SLR Mir 1B (37 mm, f/2.8 ) mounted on an M42 camera via use of an M39/M42 ring will reach "infinity" at ~ 5 m. And people have actually reported "difficulty" using this arrangement.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sichko wrote:

The 0.3 mm difference can be significant. So, for example, An M39 SLR Mir 1B (37 mm, f/2.8 ) mounted on an M42 camera via use of an M39/M42 ring will reach "infinity" at ~ 5 m. And people have actually reported "difficulty" using this arrangement.

That's correct. None of my M39-lenses focus infinity with Pentax, but with Canon adapters can be modified if that's a problem.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, this turned into quite something informative. Smile

SLR version should work fine then on my canon, I'll pick up on monday afternoon, after work.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll enjoy it, J9 is a great lens, unbeatable in it's price range. Smile

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's one of the ones I'm after, the Orion is gonna have to wait. Smile

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the focus and aperture action was a bit uneven, but I guess for $50 you usually won't get a mint Jupiter-9...

J-9 bought and paid for, also got 14 days to return it if something is wrong or such. Will post pictured later today.

EDIT:
I'm not home, so an old compact does the shooting:
This is my Jupiter-9, preset ring is modded stuck at f16 by former owner. Otherwise it seems pretty fine for $50.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want my m39-m42 adapter ASAP! So I know if this lens lives up to its price and hype. Sure an 85 for $50 is not bad, but it's still $50.
I really like the Serial number Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrates on your lens. I too am waiting for an adapter to arrive. However I don't think my rangefinder version will work on my DSLR camera body. Now I might have to get the version you have.

I can't wait to see your pictures with this lens.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, I'm very eager to try it as well.

Now, I'm no expert on lenses... But if I remember correctly, the Nikon mount register distance is too far even for m42-lenses and therefore need an adapter with a glass element, the and if you got the rangefinder version, it means register distance is even shorter than on the m42..

Which means even a glass adapter for m42 will be insufficient unless designed or modded for the m39 register distance.

Sombody please correct me if I'm wrong.

And I also promise to take better pictured than in the post on the previous page. Is it a keeper even with the preset ring locked?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My version didn't hit infinity on my canon with a glassless m39 to EOS adapter, I ended up adjusting the rear element, unscrewing it slightly so that it was closer to the sensor. Worked fairly well, I am careful with it however as the element, although secure is now looser than previously.

This may also be an option for Nikons.

-Ben

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I got my adapter today and confirmed that the Jupiter 9 doesn't work on my Nikon. Damn you Nikon for being so different. Now I got to save up for a sony nex. Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you mean it doesn't work? It doesn't mount or no infinity focus?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lena wrote:
What do you mean it doesn't work? It doesn't mount or no infinity focus?

It's the rangefinder version. Everything is blurry unless I get super close to the subject.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting serial number.