Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Jupiter 21A...first test images (Not technical images)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:32 am    Post subject: Jupiter 21A...first test images (Not technical images) Reply with quote

I received this lens yesterday in the mail.I must say it does not appeal to me aesthetically (the way it looks) Rolling Eyes However the front element has a lovely amber coating (glow) which does appeal to me. Very Happy It sort of reminds me of a Tele Tokina body the plasticy coating over the lens not so much the body shape. I am happy it came with the case and 3 filters...blue (it looks like it has a bluish tinge),yellow,green
#1 Lens and case

#3 Fully extended plus the hood

#6 This is a crop of the top right hand corner of an image,I included it because basically the other part of the image was to messy.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice. The greens are so strong.

The 21A is supposed to be a bit better optically than the 21m and is much less common. You found a fantastic one there!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks ,I did read about the different versions after I bought the lens....I am so happy it was the 21A that turned up Laughing This lens has slight fungus in the rear element (around the edge of the element) other than that it is in good shape,and I look forward to trying it out some more.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few more

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That last picture of that cat was awesome!! You could see the yard reflecting off of it's eye!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an excellent performer judging by these shots, but jeez it's a fugly brute! Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing I agree on the degree of ugliness...but the amber front coating makes up for that...and the images.Well worth the money spent.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
Laughing I agree on the degree of ugliness...but the amber front coating makes up for that...and the images.Well worth the money spent.

I also bought one from eBay with similar degree of ugliness and with its iris stucked wide open! Sad
Nevertheless, as you said, the images make up for that! Here are some of the images taken hand held with this lens. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cat shot is great Mo.. wow You're strong women handle this lens Very Happy
ferrick those are great shots

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one Mo, clearly an excellent lens.

The Jupiter-11A 4/135 is also excellent and shares the same ugly styling, I always felt like it was styled more like a piece of military hardware than something for consumer use. They are certainly extremely solidly built, I suspect the Soviets specified they had to be built to survive a nuclear war! Wink

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a keeper mo. Those cat portraits are superb

patrickh

PS How are the tomatoes doing?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are of the Roma variety and they should be ripening very soon!

Yes, this lens is definitely a keeper...the cat is sitting on the car and I was using the reflected light from the cars hood (it's a silver color so I assumed there would be some nice light reflecting off it)....it shows her chocolate/reddish tinge in her fur which is usually hidden under the grey markings.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

themoleman342 wrote:
Very nice. The greens are so strong.

The 21A is supposed to be a bit better optically than the 21m and is much less common. You found a fantastic one there!

How many versions are there? I see a "B" too.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, great photos. Congratulations on the purchase. Were you using a tripod?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my images they are all handheld. I have never heard of a Jupiter B ? I know there is a later version a Jupiter 21 M.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These photos are GREAT.
Congrats for the new lens Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
For my images they are all handheld..........

I have a hard time keeping a 135mm steady, let alone a 200m! Any tips for the neophyte photographer?
Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I normally get on one knee with the elbow resting on it and hold my breath right before pushing the button. If you can't get one one knee then tuck in your supporting arm into your side and hold your breath also.

Those both work for me.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikonshooter wrote:
I normally get on one knee with the elbow resting on it and hold my breath right before pushing the button. If you can't get one one knee then tuck in your supporting arm into your side and hold your breath also.

Those both work for me.

Okay, thanks for the tip. Do you usually use a 200mm without a tripod, then?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uddhava wrote:
Nikonshooter wrote:

Those both work for me.

Yes you can. I use the heavy Vivitar 70-210mm 3.5. If you have a fast enough shutter speed then a tripod isn't needed much because all motion will be frozen. I learned to focus faster so I don't have to keep it up for long. If you want to get a tripod then go for it, it won't hurt to have one if needed.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikonshooter wrote:
uddhava wrote:
Nikonshooter wrote:

Those both work for me.

Yes you can. I use the heavy Vivitar 70-210mm 3.5. If you have a fast enough shutter speed then a tripod isn't needed much because all motion will be frozen. I learned to focus faster so I don't have to keep it up for long. If you want to get a tripod then go for it, it won't hurt to have one if needed.

More thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do have a heavy camera (630g without the batteries ) that helps a lot with the longer lens.The camera also has in camera stabilization Very Happy Plus I use all the techniques mentioned above...especially controlling the breathing and clicking the button softly.You can also prop yourself against anything to keep the lens steady. I just dislike tripods and try to avoid them at all costs. Very Happy They are necessary if you want that special picture.

Just keep practicing, your technique will improve as you learn your cameras little quirks and what works with it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
I do have a heavy camera (630g without the batteries ) that helps a lot with the longer lens.The camera also has in camera stabilization Very Happy Plus I use all the techniques mentioned above...especially controlling the breathing and clicking the button softly.You can also prop yourself against anything to keep the lens steady. I just dislike tripods and try to avoid them at all costs. Very Happy They are necessary if you want that special picture.

Just keep practicing, your technique will improve as you learn your cameras little quirks and what works with it.

Monopods make for a nice compromise, you get most of the stability of a tripod but still have the quick mobility nearly matching hand held.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
Looks like a keeper mo. Those cat portraits are superb

patrickh

PS How are the tomatoes doing?

+1