Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar 28mm f/2, md to eos converted
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject: Vivitar 28mm f/2, md to eos converted Reply with quote

Got this vivitar cheap and I converted it to EOS mount. Of course it had it's aperture blades oily and sticky. I like the optical performance, not perfectly shart, but suprisingly good at f/2. I expected that the corners will be far worse when wide open, it produces a lot of comma (on night shots point sources get cross shaped), but in the center it is quite good. What I don't like is that when it is stoped down to f2.8 and f4 it doesn't get a lot better, still missing a lot of contrast. At f5.6 it is acceptable (colour photo), both BW photos were shot at f2.
I don't like the mechanics, don't understand why 270° focus turn is needed for a wide filed lens, 90° would be more than enought for a nice focus action.

Did a few photos yesterday and today. Not so common to see so much snow on the adriatic coast.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent shots! #3 my fave. How did you do the conversion?

/\/\

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the similar 24/2 Vivitar (kiron made like your 2Cool for a while in PK mount and liked it alot on Pentax K20D. I even sent it into for a CLA after the blades slowed past my liking and it came back noticeably better. (I think there was some haze too that I'd not seen when I got the lens from eBay).

A little glowy from the coma but as you mentioned, its quite decent in the centre. Colour wasn't the most punchy but I think the subdued look won it for me.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last picture has a nice atmosphere ... well done!
I have the Kiron 28mm f2, I like the color rendition and it is very sharp in the center, the corners are ok. It's definitely usable at f2.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The conversion was easy for this one. The MD mount was unscrewed and instead a M42 to EOS adapter was fitted on. Then only the infinity was adjusted from the front side of the lens. I had it disassembled anyway for aperture cleaning, but for conversion dissasembly is not needed.