Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

My second rangefinder arrived
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:37 pm    Post subject: My second rangefinder arrived Reply with quote

Surface mail from Italy takes time, but finally the Robot Royal 24 with the two Xenars arrived. It seems to be OK, in pretty good condition given its age. It feels very solid, weighs about 940g with the 45mm Xenar, is much easier to wind up than the Robot Star, and even the serial release works well. The rangefinder is at least as good as that of the FED-2, the base is insignificantly narrower and the contrast is about equal. Many constructional detail are pretty clever, e.g. locking the shutter release will partly cover the viewfinder ocular. Here it is, side by side with the FED-2, 75mm Tele-Xenar mounted:

More testing to do Smile

Veijo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks to be very well-made and nice to have the two lenses (50mm and
80mm?). Congrats!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
Looks to be very well-made and nice to have the two lenses (50mm and
80mm?). Congrats!

Thanks. 45mm and 75mm. About the construction, see the following page describing the similar Robot Royal 36 (36x24mm instead of 24x24mm): http://www.lumieresenboite.com/collection2.php?l=2&c=Berning_Robot_Royal_36

Veijo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The two lenses should be a handy combination. Looks a nicely thought out design too.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a fascinating piece of camera history! Congratulations!

BTW...

Hans Grahner: "Robot. Das Sammlerbuch", 132 pp, 330 b&w images, Aachen 2002. € 39,90
Available at Lindemanns Fotobücher. www.lindemanns.de
(Only in German, but as far as I remember you can read German, right?)

http://www.lindemanns.de/4DCGI/1345459262/TitelAnzeige/348117

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Veijo, this is FASCINATING!

I get a huge thrill out of seeing this workmanship; it's simply obvious that these cameras are JEWELS of the camera world.

Did you happen to listen to the .wav sound of the winder and shutter? WOw, WOw, WOw!

The lenses, the cameras -- all just incredible.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats, Veijo!
The Robot looks wonderful, nice design!
BTW, how do you shot the cameras?.
I like very much how they look in your pictures...

Jes.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
What a fascinating piece of camera history! Congratulations!

BTW...

Hans Grahner: "Robot. Das Sammlerbuch", 132 pp, 330 b&w images, Aachen 2002. € 39,90
Available at Lindemanns Fotobücher. www.lindemanns.de
(Only in German, but as far as I remember you can read German, right?)

Thanks. I read German well enough, and the price of the book is OK, but I try very hard not to start collecting. The Robots I have are strictly for shooting.

Veijo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:
Did you happen to listen to the .wav sound of the winder and shutter? WOw, WOw, WOw!

Yes, I did. However, those sound samples tell only half the story, the shutter is almost noiseless, I think it is even more quiet than a Rolleiflex TLR. Advancing the film makes most of the noise.

Veijo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:
Congrats, Veijo!
The Robot looks wonderful, nice design!
BTW, how do you shot the cameras?.
I like very much how they look in your pictures...

Thanks. These days I mostly take hand-held shots in existing light, usually with the 5D. Previously I used my old Sony DSC-F505 digicam, which has more DOF, which compensates for the lower sensitivity as I can shoot at the full f/2.8 aperture. I haven't paid too much attention to the quality of my camera photos, I always seem to be too much in a hurry. However, nice photos are an asset, and I hope I'm able to improve in this respect in the future.

Veijo