Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Dismantling problem Helios M44-6
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Dismantling problem Helios M44-6 Reply with quote

Recently I bought a Zenit 122 with a lens Helios 44M-6.
But the lens has some fungus, so today I decided disassemble it and cleaning.

But now I have a problem: I can not remove the ring from the front

I turn the ring in the opposite direction clockwise with the help of a rubber to increase friction, but the ring is not completely unscrews, it seems that there is something that stops

Does anyone know how I can remove this ring?

Here's some pictures of this ring and a video:

http://youtu.be/myJnRv8cWIs

http://imageshack.us/a/img801/2950/fotos0194.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img825/3582/fotos0191c.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img715/705/fotos0190n.jpg

Last edited by Rafael on Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Dismantling problem Helios M44-6 Reply with quote

Rafael wrote:
Recently I bought a Zenit 122 with a lens Helios 44M-6.
But the lens has some fungus, so today I decided disassemble it and cleaning.

But now I have a problem: I can not remove the ring from the front

I turn the ring in the opposite direction clockwise with the help of a rubber to increase friction, but the ring is not completely unscrews, it seems that there is something that stops

Does anyone know how I can remove this ring?

Here's some pictures of this ring and a video:

http://youtu.be/myJnRv8cWIs

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rafa and welcome! I quoted your post to show the pictures - now you can post them yourself. It's an anti-spam measure.

Has the filter ring been damaged and bent slightly?

If it is bent only very slightly you might be able to unscrew the ring by drilling small holes in at opposite positions and using a pointed lens spanner, a pair of large dividers or a micro gauge in the holes.

Otherwise, or if you don't want to drill the ring, you'll need to repair the dent. There is a special tool for this, like a small hand vice, but you can easily push the ring out of shape even more. Another way is to drift the dent out with a mallet and a wooden tool, with the lens fitted into a wooden former. There's a thread with instructions on this.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi! Thanks for the answer

The filter ring are not damaged, but if I put a screwdriver underneath it bend a bit.

What is the name of the thread?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rafael wrote:
Hi! Thanks for the answer

The filter ring are not damaged, but if I put a screwdriver underneath it bend a bit.

What is the name of the thread?

If it's not jammed then something else is preventing it from unscrewing. Have you tried lubricating and cleaning the thread? A drop of
fine oil or even WD40 might help - apply it with a fine artist's paintbrush.

I'm not sure I understand your question. It's called the filter thread, 52mm x 0.75mm pitch.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for my question, but my English is still very poor Confused

I will try that. WD40 is safe? does not damage the lens?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rafael wrote:
Sorry for my question, but my English is still very poor Confused

I will try that. WD40 is safe? does not damage the lens?

It's OK, but spray it into a container first - not onto the lens directly. And only use a tiny amount on the lens.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it!

I used a lot of WD40 and did force with a screwdriver!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Thanks for helping me!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, I'm glad you got there finally! Smile Now you can get to the lens block.

There are many threads on the forum about cleaning lenses and removing fungus. Also how to dismantle the H44. The recommended way to get of light fungus is to use Ponds (or similar) Cold Cream - smear it over the lens, wait a few minutes and wipe it off gently with a soft tissue. Then you can clean it using water and a drop of detergent.

By the way, your English is pretty good, well done.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! I'm trying not commit a grammar mistake Very Happy

There is a product here in Portugal that women use, designed to smooth skin and remove makeup called NIVEA, maybe it's also good to remove fungus, I think that is a "coldcream" to but I'm not sure Confused