Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

1969 Soligor T4 lens ad
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:46 pm    Post subject: 1969 Soligor T4 lens ad Reply with quote

larger available here http://www.flickr.com/photos/nesster/3274203470/

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kinda wish I had not thrown out mostly all of my old photo magazines...I only have 2 that I kept...One from 1974 & one from 1977 & they were not the regular mags but special edition ones...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'The equal of any made by anyone' ! Shocked

I think I have the 135/2.8, so I 'll have another look at it... Wink

A quick google found this....

http://www.vermontel.net/~wsalati/CasualCollector/t4_for_two.htm

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for quiality, its a reasonable claim.

The ones they were listing in this ad are not the most challenging designs where quality differences are most easily seen. Later T4's like the 21mm are certainly not up to the level of the best in that category.

For teles (most of the first T4's) of normal aperture, it would take very careful testing to distinguish a Zeiss or Kilfitt from a Tokina, and for nearly all practical purposes they would be indistinguishable. We can pixel-peep to the limit of our sensors, but the equivalent would have been very difficult for a film photographer in 1969, and even for me with my high tech I can rarely find a practical difference.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Xpres,

Thats Bill's page - mflenses member Casualcollector

That got me into collecting the old Tokina/T4's

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Hi Xpres,

Thats Bill's page - mflenses member Casualcollector

That got me into collecting the old Tokina/T4's

Ah! I realise now - it was mentioned recently in connection with a Cima lens.
Very good it is too.

It seems my Soligor 135/2.5 is an earlier I-S mount lens. You don't see much said about them - similar to an adaptamatic - but I guess they'd be much the same. I wonder if they're Tokina too?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi XPres,

YS mount ?

Those are just a little later than the T4's, which I think started in 1968 and stopped in @ 1975. I think the YS started a year or two later and lasted until the late 1970's.

I don't think Tokina made any lenses for YS. Sigma invented the YS and licensed the design to others, like Sun. At one time (1974?) all Sigma lenses were YS-mount.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:

YS mount ?

No, it's definitely I-S. I/S Multimount system. I also have a 35-140/3.5 from the same line.

This is the 135

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I/S Multimount System !

Thats the first time I've heard of this, thanks for the information.

I will certainly look this up. I wonder if they had PK ?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fruitbear on Xitek (Chinese site) has a bit on I-S -

http://forum.xitek.com/showarchives.php?threadid=383387

AKA U-S, C-S, etc.

Interesting.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Fruitbear on Xitek (Chinese site) has a bit on I-S -

http://forum.xitek.com/showarchives.php?threadid=383387

AKA U-S, C-S, etc.

Interesting.

Hi, Luis!!

The lens seems to be MC, isn't it?

Regards. Rino.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed... that's about the only info I found apart from a japanese blogger who liked the 135, and various references, but not much else. Seems they were about in the late seventies but short lived.
The 135 is a well made lens, similar to the c/d line in looks, but performance is average from mine. Sharp by about 5.6. I haven't tried the zoom, but now my interest has been nudged a little I think I'll have a look at it.

This is the box of the 135. Someone must know a little more about these?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the article on Soligor T4's. Though I'm collecting Viv T4 and Tx lens right now. these are virtually the same. Have you seen this one?

http://books.google.com/books?id=GQEAAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA11&lpg=PA11&dq=vivitar+tx+lens&source=bl&ots=mnAvCBx9Z9&sig=EZeawgUmjhq5MxnIshbe_hrHXDU&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=4&ct=result#PPA11,M1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Dawg - that entire magazine's a hoot! I'm loving it, back to my teenage years...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like a Tamron adaptall clone of a kind. Very interesting.