Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Help with Constant Aperture Standard Zooms?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:38 am    Post subject: Help with Constant Aperture Standard Zooms? Reply with quote

(there is another post of mine in the MF Lens section of the forum. I wasn't sure where to put my post, so I decided to split it into two, and place one here, and one there: http://forum.mflenses.com/are-there-any-constant-aperture-mf-standard-zooms-t55072.html. Apologies in advance if this makes it more confusing or inconvenient)

I'm normally more of a prime lens sort-of-a-guy (I primarily shoot video as well), but I've been finding that the majority of my work has been coming from documentary/reality TV/news reel style shooting, which lends itself to constant-aperture zooms far more than it does fast primes. As such, I've been looking into investing in a constant aperture zoom for my 7D. I've read quite a bit about the Canon 24-70 f/2.8 (both versions), as well as the 24-105 f/4 (I've used it as well).

I have a few questions, going forward, and they are as follows:

1) Is an f/4 too slow of an aperture for documentary video? Have you found yourself needing that extra stop of light in many instances? While I love the idea of having a constant aperture f/2.8, the significantly higher price seems a bit prohibitive, unless I go with a third party lens like the Tamron 24-70 f/2.8, which is close to the same price as the Canon 24-105 f/4 (truth be told, there will be quite a bit of saving up before I can afford any of these lenses in the first place).

2) Speaking of 3rd Party alternatives, I've read about the Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 as well as the Tamron 24=70 f/2.8, and from what I've read, I would be more interested in the Tamron (feel free to present a case for the Sigma though! Very Happy ). Are there any 3rd party competitors for the Canon 24-105 f/4 that are worth looking in to?

Thanks for any advice that you have.