Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Does somebody recognize this 3.5/200 ??
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:22 am    Post subject: Does somebody recognize this 3.5/200 ?? Reply with quote

This one came with some other lenses a few weeks ago. Didn't really take a good look at it then... but the glass and the mechanics are 100%, so I might give it a try! It's all steel, with a very thin A/M switch, quite heavy, 62mm filter thread and it carries the dutch photoshop brand-name Pentor (Auto Pentor 3.5/200 No. 21778).

It is a rebranded lens, and I just like to know who made it!!

Pentor 3.5/200 M42 by TrueLoveOne, on Flickr

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like Vivitar (made by Komine)...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it is the Komine, the earlier one did have a focus ring like that though, the one I have is later with the rubber grip. Mine has a built in hood and I believe the early one did too, all of them I have seen have the hood. The filter size is right though.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know, grip rifling looks like Revuenon-Special 135/2.8. Gee now you know! :P

This one is more orange-y, has one (orange) big infinity symbol, DOF looks a bit different, red dot is below DOF not below aperture. A/M is lacking too which is a hassle. There is no inbuilt hood but one can screw off the front element by hand easily (this may be a quirk of 135 lenses however)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that you mention the Revuenon-Special 135.... I had that one once... indeed looks alike! But that one was a rebranded lens too.....

This one is a 200mm though! It does not have a built-in hood. And here's a pic of the A/M switch:

Pentor 3.5/200 by TrueLoveOne, on Flickr

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is reference to this lens... I just needed time to find it and confirms what I said before

http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Vivitar_200mm_f/3.5

Wink

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. That silly kind of A/M is on my "SUPER carenar auto" 35/2.8. I remember this because mine fell down, right on the switch and now it's damaged.
The red dot is above aperture, too. One orange infinity symbol, but small not big. Grip is metal, little squares with pyramids. Looks like the rebranders could order any grip and name they want.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pentor are usually Tokina I think. I had a lens that looked exactly like this one, I forget what the brand name on it was now, but it wasn't very good, low contrast, poor colours, purple fringing.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Early COSINA.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Identical to a Photax branded lens I have, Photax was a store brand name. I like this 200 lens, it has better sharpness than expected, but the CA can be bad in certain situations.

It's not visible here, but the A/M switch is also identical.

The Photax brand was also sold as Photax Paragon - and the same company also sold lenses as Super Paragon. I have a 28 and 135 Super Paragon which are both Cimko made lenses with the unequal green diamond as the aperture mark, but they both share a 'house style' with this 200mm Paragon, which isn't a Cimko. I agree that it is probably an early Tokina. Hold on a moment......
I just got this Chinon Auto Reflex 2.8 28 out of the box and noticed that it also has the distinctive thin A/M switch, and on very close inspection the whole back plate of the Photax 200 and the Chinon 28 are identical, with a magnifying glass I can see no difference at all in the mount / back plate of the lenses. And looking further the font and engraving style is identical on each lens, and the aperture mark is the same style.
So I'll revise my agreement that it's a Tokina and go for Chinon - or maybe Tokina made both ?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few similarities of barrels of Japanese lenses are not very meaningful - they all look like the same. I think many of them (Konica, Nikon, Tokina, Chinon, Tomioka,...) used the same supplier for their barrel parts.

But anyway for some reason I would guess it's made by Cosina Smile

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about a picture of the front element? That can help a lot if we can see what info is engraved on it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you can see, there's no more info on the front than which i wrote in the start of this thread..... I'll try to take some pics with it today!

Pentor 3.5/200 by TrueLoveOne, on Flickr

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No reason to doubt it, here is my FD to EOS adaptation:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Pancolart: that one really looks a lot like mine and like Lloydy's Photax lens.

I took the camera and the Pentor with me this afternoon, had some 15 minutes or so to make some quick shots. These are just converted from RAW to JPG, no pp, straight out of camera. Very grey day... no real sunlight. Here are some:

@f/3.5, wide open

Testshots Pentor 3.5/200 by TrueLoveOne, on Flickr

same shot @f/5.6

@f/8

@f/8 into the light (it was a grey day.... but I pointed it towards the source/sun)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good stopped down.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, thank you, that's what I thought.... I have seen much worse lenses, and people still made their pics "look good" with some post-processing in PS or LR.

These are untouched and made in a hurry, more or less.... I was getting curious. But it's worth some more time for a better try imho.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrueLoveOne wrote:
Yes, thank you, that's what I thought.... I have seen much worse lenses, and people still made their pics "look good" with some post-processing in PS or LR.

These are untouched and made in a hurry, more or less.... I was getting curious. But it's worth some more time for a better try imho.

Definitely, I think got mine in a job lot of lenses a dealer wanted rid of so I paid very little for the lot - and expected very little from the lenses. And I was right, most were poor. But this one wasn't.