Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tokina RMC or SL - can they be the same?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:54 pm    Post subject: Tokina RMC or SL - can they be the same? Reply with quote

Click here to see on Ebay(´)

I'm looking at various superwide options, preferably in the 15mm - 18mm range. I came across this lens listed as an RMC SL. I thought Tokina had RMC or SL versions, not a lens with both RMC and SL in the name. Am I wrong?

This seller is listing both a PK mount and an OM mount, both with the same RMC SL designation.

Any help to clarify, and any opinion as to the quality of this lens, much appreciated.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops - fixed the link. Apologies.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:52 am    Post subject: Re: Tokina RMC or SL - can they be the same? Reply with quote

Hi!

l9magen wrote:
Click here to see on Ebay
I'm looking at various superwide options, preferably in the 15mm - 18mm range. I came across this lens listed as an RMC SL. I thought Tokina had RMC or SL versions, not a lens with both RMC and SL in the name. Am I wrong?

This seller is listing both a PK mount and an OM mount, both with the same RMC SL designation.

Any help to clarify, and any opinion as to the quality of this lens, much appreciated.

Here is the image from ebay:

That looks like an RMC, not an SL. I know I have seen an SL lens which I knew as an SL because it had SL in printing on the lens front ring, and did not have RMC. I looked a while for a picture of one of these SL lenses like I saw, but failed to find one. Hopefully someone else has a picture of it.

The optical quality of the Tokina RMC 17/3.5 is quite good. On m43--both my Panasonic gh2 and Olympus e-m5--it's definitely better than both of the Tamron SP 17/3.5 #151 MF lenses I have.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when I compared the tokina rmc 17mm f3.5 to the tamron sp 17mm f3.5, I found the tokina to be slightly better.
The tokina has good constrast and sharpness with just a little barrel distortion on aps-c.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did have checked 3 of them.. SL, RMC II and the same, labeled as Vivitar. The red mark II means Mark II.. the mark one is the SL Version.. as far as i know.

The RMC II and the Vivitar are equal lenses, no matter which one you take.. RMCII or Vivitar. Both are better than the precedor SL with build in hood.

Cheers
Henry

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw some tokina's zooms (among them, the 80/200 mm or so) and the SL version seems to has stronger MC than the RMC one.